Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

A Visit from Momma Monarch

butterflymomok
12 years ago

I was gone all day yesterday, but I apparently had a visitor. She left me at least 46 eggs. There may have been more, but this morning I caught a Lady Bug scouring the leaves of the Milkweed. I won't complain about the few she might have eaten, though. Just glad I caught her. Every egg means that the Monarchs are repopulating for 2012. I hope this is an abundant year for them. The good news is that I have enough milkweed to feed them.

Sandy

Comments (5)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the monarch eggs, Sandy, and even bigger congrats that you've got enough MW to feed them!

Mine have hatched, and they're still small, not growing as fast as I'm accustomed to. I guess that's because I usually get eggs when it's hot in late summer. Despite the warmer than usual winter and spring, it's not summer, as a matter of fact, it's only in the upper 60's now because of all the rain. So maybe my MW will be able to keep up with the cats!

So far, this is looks like it'll be an abundant year for all the butterflies - YAY!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry,

It does seem to be going to be a good BF year. I have found lots of Pipevine Swallowtail eggs, a couple of Variegated frit eggs, and the Monarch eggs. Need to check the False Nettle and the Spicebush, as both butterflies have been around.

I've been doing quite a few presentations this year on butterfly gardening. Yesterday I went to a school, and have another school in a couple of weeks. I took eggs and tiny caterpillars. The students loved it. Been doing this word-of-mouth for several years. Guess the word got around this year!

My garden is in bad shape and will remain that way for awhile. I have wrist surgery tomorrow to repair some damage that was done when I broke it. That's been almost 3 years ago! With knee replacement last December and this, told my grandsons I was becoming the "Bionic Grandma". I'm hoping I can find a young helper to pull weeds. My neighbor wants his son to come help me - but it hasn't happened yet. I think Dad likes the idea better than Son does. LOL

Sandy

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Oh, my! It seems like yesterday that your broke your wrist, Sandy - wasn't it BOTH wrists? For some reason, I remember it that way.

I've found lots of spicebush eggs, and I'll bring some in to raise soon. My tiger egg turned clear - a dud! - and my one little palamedes cat is growing steadily. The pipevine swallowtails are eating and growing at their usual incredible rate. I've got several American lady chrysalides, there are probably some red admiral chrysalides in the nests, both in the cage and outside. There's one red admiral pupating/in the "J" publicly in the cage. I haven't found any variegated frit eggs or cats, but I usually find late instar cats out of the blue.

Lots of mock bishop's weed is coming up in one of the beds in my garden, and not only am I not pulling it, I put a little chicken manure around it. Black swallowtails have used it before - if they don't, I've planted nine more rue plants to add to the two I had from last year to make eleven.

All this rain has kept me from having to water, which I love!

'Hope that our butterfly people in the DFW area are alright! Did you see that film of the big truck being sucked up in the air and flipped around? Sheesh!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Sherry, it was both wrists. Only have to get one repaired now. However, I will have to have some minor surgery on the other wrist in the future.

I haven't really seen the videos of the Dallas storm. I am thankful that there wasn't any loss of life - at least that I heard. I've been out and about photographing some Oklahoma butterflies. Trying to get my fix taken care of before tomorrow!!

Sounds like you are going to have a busy year. But, I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of it.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Congrats on your Monarch eggs, Sandy! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and praying that all goes well with the surgery. Saw another VF and RA at my daughter's today while the sun was out for awhile.

I ordered 3 plants from Almost Eden today - a Lavender Porterweed, Hamelia patens, and Orange Tecoma. Gosh plants are getting expensive via mail order!

Susan

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals