Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mock Bishop's Weed/Fennel

Posted by alex928 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 11:15

Can somebody tell me a bit more about Mock Bishop's weed? Somebody mentioned it in the earlier thread about parsley, but I'm not very familiar with it.

Also, could fennel do well in hot humid summers? I was thinking of getting some, but then I read an earlier thread in which some said it didn't do well with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mock Bishop's Weed/Fennel

Mock bishop's weed is a native plant here that looks very much like fennel and dill, and it's in the same family. Black swallowtails will lay eggs on it as readily as they do fennel and dill, and, like these two, it takes a lot of it to feed a group of caterpillars. The cats will make blacker poop when eating it, so it's not exactly the same by any means.

It came up in my garden on its on several years ago, so I left it and got cats. Last year I gathered the seeds and spread them over shady parts of my garden, because it will deteriorate in hot sun. Still, it's MUCH more heat tolerant than fennel and dill. This spring, it's coming up in the places where I sowed the seeds! It's the type of plant that can grow easily between bigger plants, so I plan on continuing to sow the seeds, the only limitation being that the caterpillars eat them. The seeds I got came from some regrowth made after the cats had become chrysalides. I highly recommend using it if you're in the hot, humid Deep South - my fennel and dill die in the summer and never return the next spring.

The only problem is getting seeds. I'd recommend scouring roadsides looking for plants that look like dill and fennel. Just don't get water hemlock! :)

Sherry

o
RE: Mock Bishop's Weed/Fennel

Oh, well I don't think I've seen any of those around here anywhere, at least not on roadsides. I guess they don't sell them anywhere. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here