Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with I.D. please

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 12:03

Found this on my trip around the property yesterday. When it flies, its very blue. Can you tell me what it is?
Thanks.
 photo IMG_9515_zpsf5f66e73.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with I.D. please

It's a spring azure, Catherine, and what a wonderful picture of it! I've found them to be among the hardest butterflies to photograph - fantastic!

Sherry

o

Thanks Sherry!. (Just too bad its a good picture of that invasive mustard garlic too! haha). But hey........if the butterflies like it, then I'm okay with it. :)
I would have loved to get a pic of it with its wings outstretched..........really gorgeous!

o

Is she laying on that GM, or just perching?

o

What a money shot of a gorgeous Butterfly.
But my advice, pull that nasty Garlic Mustard and plant Wild Ginger, which has allelotoxic properties to GM's long seed banking abilities. Maybe try some Aristolochia fimbriata c it?(same family, same results?)
That lovely Spring Azure would most likely lay on a hardwood, such as a Dogwood or Spirea in the neighborhood.

o

We have 35 acres and are in our 60's. Our main bad guy is bush honeysuckle, which has taken over our entire property. We tried to stay ahead of it, but just can't. We don't use chemicals either. Now its the garlic mustard, which is lots easier to pull......but there's just too much of it. Then there's the brambles, thistle, etc., etc. So.......I guess at this point we're just trying to appreciate that there might be no fighting evolution.........
I'm thinking we should at least eat the garlic mustard?? :)

Leafhead.....I think she's just perching........but it would be great if various beautiful butterlifes would use these stupid invasives as host plants! Then there would be something good come out of them.

o

Amen to that, our only hope is a species-jumping Cabbage or Mustard White...
In the mean time, eat up and Bon Apitit.

o

Garlic mustard pesto is delicious! It was brought over as a salad herb. Use it early though. It can get too strong later in the summer.
Cheers,
Elisabeth

o

Cutting it before it blooms yields a more tender vegetable and keeps this menace from going to seed.
They are best if harvested right after they bolt.
There is also a recipe for Japanese Knotweed and Apple Pie.
And if you have Burdock on your property, their roots can be cooked like Yuca.
Eat the weeds! they're tasty!!

o

Hmmm..........sounds like it can be pretty tasty! Good to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here