Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Help with I.D. please

catherinet
11 years ago

Found this on my trip around the property yesterday. When it flies, its very blue. Can you tell me what it is?
Thanks.
{{gwi:460296}}

Comments (9)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

It's a spring azure, Catherine, and what a wonderful picture of it! I've found them to be among the hardest butterflies to photograph - fantastic!

Sherry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sherry!. (Just too bad its a good picture of that invasive mustard garlic too! haha). But hey........if the butterflies like it, then I'm okay with it. :)
    I would have loved to get a pic of it with its wings outstretched..........really gorgeous!

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Is she laying on that GM, or just perching?

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

What a money shot of a gorgeous Butterfly.
    But my advice, pull that nasty Garlic Mustard and plant Wild Ginger, which has allelotoxic properties to GM's long seed banking abilities. Maybe try some Aristolochia fimbriata c it?(same family, same results?)
    That lovely Spring Azure would most likely lay on a hardwood, such as a Dogwood or Spirea in the neighborhood.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have 35 acres and are in our 60's. Our main bad guy is bush honeysuckle, which has taken over our entire property. We tried to stay ahead of it, but just can't. We don't use chemicals either. Now its the garlic mustard, which is lots easier to pull......but there's just too much of it. Then there's the brambles, thistle, etc., etc. So.......I guess at this point we're just trying to appreciate that there might be no fighting evolution.........
    I'm thinking we should at least eat the garlic mustard?? :)

Leafhead.....I think she's just perching........but it would be great if various beautiful butterlifes would use these stupid invasives as host plants! Then there would be something good come out of them.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Amen to that, our only hope is a species-jumping Cabbage or Mustard White...
    In the mean time, eat up and Bon Apitit.

• bananasinohio
    11 years ago

Garlic mustard pesto is delicious! It was brought over as a salad herb. Use it early though. It can get too strong later in the summer.
    Cheers,
    Elisabeth

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Cutting it before it blooms yields a more tender vegetable and keeps this menace from going to seed.
    They are best if harvested right after they bolt.
    There is also a recipe for Japanese Knotweed and Apple Pie.
    And if you have Burdock on your property, their roots can be cooked like Yuca.
    Eat the weeds! they're tasty!!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm..........sounds like it can be pretty tasty! Good to know.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH