Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My solitary play-day!

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 12:26

Due to a rare set of circumstances, I have my house to myself for today. My husband is driving to Iowa and all of my teenagers have found somewhere else to lay there heads for the first weekend of spring break. So, I'm spoiling myself with spring/gardening activities.

I transplanted my 20 Tropical milkweed seedlings into larger containers. I wintersowed 8 milk jugs of Zinnias. I picked up fallen branches and twigs, and peeked at the tiny green sprouts at the base of a few early perennials. Now I'm going to make a "Mason Bee House" out of rolled brown paper bag. Mason Bees are one of many solitary, native North American bees which have been pollinating native plants and crops since before the honeybee was introduced from Europe. But, they are threatened, as so many insects are, from loss of habitat and nesting sites. They nest in holes left by woodpeckers, rodents, or beetles, or in hollow reeds. So, we can help by providing drilled blocks of wood or piles of hollow tubes hung in protected but sunny spots near blossoming plants. Because these bees are solitary, they are not aggressive and many cannot sting, and they are more efficient pollinators than honeybees because they gather pollen, not just nectar. They also fly in colder weather and less sunshine than honeybees, so are working longer hours.

Anyone interested in learning more can search "Mason Bees" or "The Xerces Society." I think I spelled that correctly. Have a beautiful spring day!

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My solitary play-day!

Hi Martha!
I just bought a mason bee house. Haven't put it up yet. I'm trying to figure out the best location for it. I hope the woodpeckers leave it alone.
Have fun by yourself today!

o

Catherinet,
Let me know how you like your Mason Bee house. I keep looking at different designs and trying to decide which seem most user friendly. Are you planning to harvest the cocoons in autumn, or leave them out all year?

Martha

o

It's good to hear you had a fun gardening weekend!

I'm not even sure mason bees exist down here, so I'll look it up. Bumble bees, which are EVERYWHERE here, pollinate flowers. On my property, I leave a certain amount of dead trees (Hurricane Katrina provided plenty of those) and I've seen for myself how many critters use old woodpecker holes, so I know how beneficial dead trees and branches can be.

Sherry

o

Interesting bee house; I had to check if we have those bees here, but we don't. Our native bees use holes in the ground. I noticed that our Bumblebees, and other native bee populations, took a big hit last year--numbers are way down. I read recently that the collapse experienced by the European honeybee has now spread to the native population. That is terrible news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here