Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping fountain water fresh and safe for butterflies

Posted by Brieninsac 9 - Sacramento, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:31

I have a recirculating fountain as part of our butterfly garden. I have some large rocks in it to allow a safe place for butterflies to sit and drink. However, the water tends to get kinda slimy after a week or two. I know there are chemicals you can put in the water to prevent that from happening. But obviously I don't want to harm the butterflies either.

So I was curious is others have found a way to treat fountain water without harming the butterflies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping fountain water fresh and safe for butterflies

Butterflies are used to encountering slimy water in nature. They do not drink water anyway. They may dab at a damp fountain or rock surface, looking for minerals, but they have no use for standing water.

I do not know if treated water that splashes and wets fountain rocks would harm the butterflies.

How often do you see butterflies landing on the fountain, and do they linger there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here