Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zieglergarden

Attempting to attract Zebra Longwings

zieglergarden
10 years ago

So I have a passion vine right in full sun at the moment. I want to create a shady spot to grow another one that will actually attract zebra longwing butterflies since this one has not. I have heard they prefer shade anyway.
So I have another area of my garden where I can try to create shade using a shrub or small tree. However, this is a relatively small area, as all of my gardening areas are.
I don't have access to the larger areas as I do live with my parents and my dad and mom tend to dictate what happens in the larger areas of the garden. I found the caste tree but think it would take up too much space for me to be able to plant more plants around it to create a habitat for the zebra longwings.
Anyway, if you live in Central Florida or a zone similar to that, what do you think I should plant to create shade that would also attract butterflies?
This is only my 2nd year having a butterfly garden and started seeing monarchs last year with my tropical milkweed.
If you have any further advice for attracting other butterflies to my garden, please let me know!

Comments (4)

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Just a thought....could you put up a small arbor or arch and plant the passionvine on it? As the vine matures and grows over the vine, it would create shade underneath. At the feet of the arch on each side you could plant nectar plants, maybe lantana. The plants would hide the barebottoms of the vine.

Rhonda

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Try growing some native Mouse Melon in with your Passion Vine. Female Longwings are the only butterflies able to digest pollen and they prefer Cucurbits. Another favorite of female Longwings are male Papaya trees.

Try planting a Cassia tree somewhere sunny and you'll get Cloudless Sulfurs and Sleepy Oranges.

Plant Aristolochia and you'll attract Polydamas and/or Pipevine Swallowtails.

Wild Lime will attract Giant Swallowtails.

Fennel and Dill attract Black Swallowtails.

Breynia and Oleander will bring in diurnal moths.

If you're near the coast, plant Coontie and there's a chance you could see an Atala.

Try planting Bacopa or Lippia for the White Peacock.

And for nectar...
    Pentas, Porterweed, Cestrum Diurnum, Jatropha, Tithonia, Russelia, Clerodendron and Lantana.

• Tom
    10 years ago

Excellent advice above. Perhaps the easiest thing to do now is to get Fennel or dill or parsley from the nursery nearest you to attract Eastern Black swallowtails. They start coming around at this time and these plants don't take up much space. While you are at the nursery pick up another passionvine and plant it in a corner of your yard.

Planting a tree will take up some space, and if you put the passionvine on a fence part of it will be in the shade.

Probably the easiest small tree to grow would be a cassia. These are available at a small price at the nursery. They will bring in Sulphurs and provide shade at the same time. You could even let the vine grow up the small tree.

• zieglergarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys so much for the wonderful advice!
    And I wish I had the room to do the arch idea... that would be perfect!!
    As for the fence thing well I don't have a fence.
    And I will try planting some Mouse Melon near the passion vine.
    I have been planning to attempt to attract some swallowtails with parsley. Thank you guys so much for your help!

Sponsored