Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missa7_gw

asclepias viridis (spider milkweed)

missa7
12 years ago

I just tried to dig some of this up from the side of the road, it was rocky & so I didn't do a very good job ... didn't get very many roots. How easy is this to get to root & how do I do it? Also, does it spread? I'd like for it to spread some.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

This is one of the hardest milkweeds to dig up and replant. I haven't had any luck. It's better to collect seeds and scatter them in the area where you would like for them to grow. Scatter in the fall and let overwinter. It will take some time to establish plants.

Sandy

• boisenoise
    11 years ago

My parents in Missouri collected a whole bunch of these seeds last summer and mailed them to me. I wasn't sure of the best time to plant them. Knowing that some seeds germinate best when planted immediately, I planted some of them as soon as possible, right in the middle of the summer. They did not germinate.

I planted more of the seeds in situ outdoors in the fall, hoping that overwintering outdoors would help them to germinate in the spring. Not a single one came up.

I planted the remainder of the seeds in special seed-starting containers this spring, indoors. This was the only method that was successful for me . . . and even then, only a very tiny percentage of the seeds germinated. I suspect that being this difficult to germinate may be one reason these plants are not readily available from nurseries!

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I was successful digging up a couple of A.viridis plants last spring by digging deep...probably 18-20" with a sharpshooter shovel. I also have been collecting seeds recently from both A.asperula & A.viridis. They are both called spider milkweed!

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

The seed requires stratification, so best to winter sow them in containers that you place outside around January or February. I use 2 litre soda bottles with the top third of the bottle cut off. Don't use the screw-on cap. Punch holes in bottom for drainage. Fill with at least 4" of potting soil, put the top on (I cut a slit up the side of the top part and fold it over slightly so the top fits into the bottom part easily). Put it outdoors. The seed will take awhile to germinate (break dormancy) and usually can see them sprout in spring.

Sowing directly in fall - birds and other critters will eat them. Sowing in spring, not enough enough cold time for the seed to break dormancy. Sowing indoors, no cold period as necessary. Sowing in summer, seeds may have rotted or been consumed by birds or citters.

Hope this helps.

Susan

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I was successful digging up a couple of A.viridis plants last spring by digging deep...probably 18-20" with a sharpshooter shovel. I also have been collecting seeds recently from both A.asperula & A.viridis. They are both called spider milkweed!

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm going to comment so this thread moves up as there is such helpful info here.

Susan's info for winter sowing is spot on. I have had excellent results when doing as she has suggested. Winter sowing is super for germinating most native milkweed seeds. It seems so simple and is, just takes planning for having the necessary items on hand following the holidays, then plant and set your bottles/jugs outside sometime in January. Helps with the winter blues, too! :-)

My A viridis plants are in their third season now and I'm hoping to see blooms and if lucky, seed pods this year. The new growth this spring looks healthy, with nice thick, strong looking stems. So excited to see if I get blooms. I think this is going to be one of the easier to grow and maintain native milkweeds for my area.

.... photo below of my second season A viridis plants, taken last June (click on photo to enlarge)

It takes a little time to begin seeing the results of growing the native milkweeds but it is so worth it as the little plants begin to mature and you see the results of your early planning.

Is anyone else growing this variety of milkweed this year?

Mary

• Jacob Berg
    8 years ago

What is its coldest zone?

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

Jacob,

It has a good growing range:

Distribution ...

USA: AL , AR , FL , GA , IL , IN , KS , KY , LA
    , MO , MS , NE , OH , OK , SC , TN , TX , WV

USDA Hardiness: Zone 4-9

Mary

• boisenoise
    8 years ago

I ordered more asclepias viridis seeds this year from Prairie Moon Nursery. The package recommended stratification, so I mixed the seeds into some damp perlite, put them into a Ziploc bag, and put it into the fridge for six weeks (actually, six weeks was recommended, but I think I left them in for a little longer than that). I got them out last week, on April 13th, and planted half of the seeds in a small seed-starting container, leaving them near the top, since supposedly they need light to germinate. I like to keep the whole container in a ziploc bag to hold in moisture, since I live in a semi-desert and small containers dry out extremely quickly. To my surprise, the seeds started to germinate in just four days!!! The other half I soaked overnight in warm water before planting in the same way. None of those have germinated.

I think the winter sowing would be so nice in areas where that works! I am pretty sure it is too dry here for that method, though. I have never had a single success with germinating any kinds of seed using that method. :(

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

boisenoise, congratulations on the quick seed germination! It's a shame the winter sowing has been unsuccessful for you but sometimes we have to accommodate differences in various growing conditions.

Thank you so much for growing milkweed for the Monarchs.

Mary

Sponsored