Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Monarch Sighting!

butterflymomok
11 years ago

A friend spotted a Monarch within 4 miles of my house yesterday! The sighting was in Bixby, Ok, just south of the Arkansas River. We've had strong southerly winds this week, and thunder storms overnight. Temps dropped from 70s into 40s. They will continue to drop down in to low 30s tonight. Hope this Monarch finds shelter.

Sandy

Comments (12)

• Mary Leek
    11 years ago

Yikes, they're getting close. I'd better get my tropical MW tidied up and set outside. Finally saw the first leaves of common MW pushing up and my wild Asclepias variegata is also pushing through the soil.

Cold here this morning, too, but the storm has past and sunny days are expected for the next few days.

Come on, spring!

Mary

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Amen to that!! We're expecting, ugh, snow tomorrow and my Everlasting and Pussytoes are just coming up....
    Oscars are just seedlings and I'm at least a month away from Monarch season, when my MW comes up.
    I'm starting more tuberosa from seed, too.
    Wish me luck and warm temps...
    Leaf

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

That's great, Sandy!

The wind is blowing hard, there's a line of strong thunderstorms headed this way right now, and the temps are supposed to drop, but no where near freezing.

I sure hope that monarch found shelter somewhere!

Sherry

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Woo hoo! Sandy, tried to call but then saw that you had to change your phone number. E-mail thru GW SO we can reconnect!

I saw a BST last week!

Susan

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Woo hoo! Sandy, tried to call but then saw that you had to change your phone number. E-mail thru GW SO we can reconnect!

I saw a BST last week!

Susan

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

YES!!! That's exciting, Sandy! I'm just a little north of you but haven't spotted anything yet other than a few sulfurs and BST. None of my milkweed has come up, but I have ordered some. I'll probably be able to "help" them more on their journey back to the south later this year.

~Laura

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Laura, good to see you again this year! Will we ever get warm enough to plant anything? LOL

SUSAN

• ericwi
    11 years ago

We are having a long cool spring here in Wisconsin. Last week I think we had rain 4 or 5 days. This morning I woke up to about 1/2 inch of fresh snow. The sun did eventually come out, & it got up to 40. There is more adverse weather predicted for this week. Actually, I think this weather is good for gardeners, we need some light rains, over time, to get the soil moisture back up, after last year's drought. The monarchs are just going to have to wait for warmer weather.

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

Hey Susan! Good to see you too! I've been around but haven't posted too much - wasn't much to post about for one, and for two, I've got a high school senior who is playing Varsity baseball this spring so my life is not really my own right now!

I'm anxious for the weather to stay consistently warm! I'm ready to plant! I've got a flat of a. syriaca ordered through Monarch Watch and also have four other varieties in 3" pots. They are saying we might get one more freeze this week, so I've gotta wait!

In the meantime, I've released 15 BST that I overwintered on the back porch. I'm hopeful for a good year once we can finally get started!

~Laura

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

I didn't count how many black swallowtails I released, Laura, but it was probably pretty close to fifteen.

I haven't seen the first monarch this year. As I recall, a monarch had laid eggs on my still small milkweed at this time last year.

Oh well, I've got plenty of milkweed for when they do show up.

Sherry

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Oh, no, Laura, we now have yet another freeze predicted for next week, too. My tomato seedling are now mature plants! LOL

Susan

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

Hopefully it won't be a hard freeze - I've already seen conflicting reports of exactly how cold it will get (I once saw 32, now they are saying 34.) I hope covering them will help!

~Laura

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting