Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch Sighting!

Posted by butterflymomok 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 13:56

A friend spotted a Monarch within 4 miles of my house yesterday! The sighting was in Bixby, Ok, just south of the Arkansas River. We've had strong southerly winds this week, and thunder storms overnight. Temps dropped from 70s into 40s. They will continue to drop down in to low 30s tonight. Hope this Monarch finds shelter.

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch Sighting!

Yikes, they're getting close. I'd better get my tropical MW tidied up and set outside. Finally saw the first leaves of common MW pushing up and my wild Asclepias variegata is also pushing through the soil.

Cold here this morning, too, but the storm has past and sunny days are expected for the next few days.

Come on, spring!

Mary

o

Amen to that!! We're expecting, ugh, snow tomorrow and my Everlasting and Pussytoes are just coming up....
Oscars are just seedlings and I'm at least a month away from Monarch season, when my MW comes up.
I'm starting more tuberosa from seed, too.
Wish me luck and warm temps...
Leaf

o

That's great, Sandy!

The wind is blowing hard, there's a line of strong thunderstorms headed this way right now, and the temps are supposed to drop, but no where near freezing.

I sure hope that monarch found shelter somewhere!

Sherry

o

Woo hoo! Sandy, tried to call but then saw that you had to change your phone number. E-mail thru GW SO we can reconnect!

I saw a BST last week!

Susan

o

Woo hoo! Sandy, tried to call but then saw that you had to change your phone number. E-mail thru GW SO we can reconnect!

I saw a BST last week!

Susan

o

YES!!! That's exciting, Sandy! I'm just a little north of you but haven't spotted anything yet other than a few sulfurs and BST. None of my milkweed has come up, but I have ordered some. I'll probably be able to "help" them more on their journey back to the south later this year.

~Laura

o

Laura, good to see you again this year! Will we ever get warm enough to plant anything? LOL

SUSAN

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 21:32

We are having a long cool spring here in Wisconsin. Last week I think we had rain 4 or 5 days. This morning I woke up to about 1/2 inch of fresh snow. The sun did eventually come out, & it got up to 40. There is more adverse weather predicted for this week. Actually, I think this weather is good for gardeners, we need some light rains, over time, to get the soil moisture back up, after last year's drought. The monarchs are just going to have to wait for warmer weather.

o

Hey Susan! Good to see you too! I've been around but haven't posted too much - wasn't much to post about for one, and for two, I've got a high school senior who is playing Varsity baseball this spring so my life is not really my own right now!

I'm anxious for the weather to stay consistently warm! I'm ready to plant! I've got a flat of a. syriaca ordered through Monarch Watch and also have four other varieties in 3" pots. They are saying we might get one more freeze this week, so I've gotta wait!

In the meantime, I've released 15 BST that I overwintered on the back porch. I'm hopeful for a good year once we can finally get started!

~Laura

o

I didn't count how many black swallowtails I released, Laura, but it was probably pretty close to fifteen.

I haven't seen the first monarch this year. As I recall, a monarch had laid eggs on my still small milkweed at this time last year.

Oh well, I've got plenty of milkweed for when they do show up.

Sherry

o

Oh, no, Laura, we now have yet another freeze predicted for next week, too. My tomato seedling are now mature plants! LOL

Susan

o

Hopefully it won't be a hard freeze - I've already seen conflicting reports of exactly how cold it will get (I once saw 32, now they are saying 34.) I hope covering them will help!

~Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here