Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed leaves question

Posted by tapiocabug 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 14:08

Hello, I have a milkweed plant that seems to thrive but it leaves look bad and I can not find any images or information online that tells me if what I'm seeing is normal or something I need to treat. The leaves get a reddish cast to them that gradually overtakes most of the leaf as it turns yellow. It happens on the adult plant and on the babies growing under it. It's the older leaves that it happens to, so I wasn't sure if this is just how they age (I suspect not though!). The red is best described as brick red or the actual color of rust on iron - but the pictures I have seen of leaf rust look nothing like it. There are no pustules under the leaves - just a reddish cast to the leaf that spreads. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to treat it if possible if it's a problem, but am unsure how since I do get monarchs!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed leaves question

Sounds like rust. What is the species of milkweed?

I wrote a hand out for milkweed care and propagation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Planting and Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here