Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush Shade Tolerance

Posted by shutterbugsyl 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 14:27

I received a Butterfly Bush as a gift but do not have a sunny spot where I can plant it. How shade tolerant are these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush Shade Tolerance

I have three in large pots under the shade of an oak tree. They maintain their leaves very well but don't bloom much. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out where to plant them. Only the branches that get sunlight are blooming now :o)

~ Cat

o

I have two, one is a honeycomb in total afternoon shade. I figured planting it in the shade would help keep its size in check and it certainly did. Decent amount of foliage but not a lot of flowers. My Black Knight is only a few feet away and gets a little afternoon sun and it has done great. I when I pruned it I took some cuttings and placed them in a flower pot, and dang if a few hadn't made it and are starting to grow. This will be the plants second year, I cut them back several weeks ago and already they are growing like crazy.

o

For your zone, you will get a lot more blooms if your buddleia get as close to full sun as possible. I'm in zone6/7, and find that my 60+ buddleia do much better in full sun.

mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here