Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Moon - buddliea - ever tried this?

Posted by butterflyman 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 14:49

I saw a blurb about the Asian Moon buddliea which is supposed to be sterile.

The question I have then is - does it not need dead-heading?

If you ever tried this species let me know.
It cost $40 here in St. Louis

There's a link below about the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Moon Buddleia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Moon - buddliea - ever tried this?

I've never grown this one, but I'll look around my garden to see if I can find a place to put it. I get SO tired of deadheading my Ellen's Blue and White Profusion - a no deadhead butterfly bush sounds wonderful!
Santa Rosa Gardens has it for a MUCH better price.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Moon at Santa Rosa Gardens

o

I don't know either if it's true about it not needing deadheading but it sounds like that's the case. I agree with Sherry...I really get tired of deadheading my two butterfly bushes. If the latest freeze killed one of mine, that's one less to fuss with. I had cut both of them back after all of the warm weather that we were having and neither of them liked that, the one especially. I'd seriously consider getting the Asian Moon one if I knew that the butterflies love the nectar as much as they do with the ones that I have. I hope someone tries this kind of butterfly bush and lets us know how it works out.
Cathy

o

List of the "sterile" butterfly bushes approved by Oregon. Hopefully they don't become un-sterile like some other sterile invasives did.

Here is a link that might be useful: ODA Approved Sterile Buddleja Cultivars

o

I bought two from Santa Rosa Gardens - $24 total.
I'm going to deadhead one and leave the other alone and see what difference there is.

o

I'm a rep from Garden Debut(R), the plant brand introducing Asian Moon. As far as we've seen in testing, they bloom much heavier with deadheading. Hope they perform as well for you as they are for us! Planted a few at my house last fall, and they're just stunning right now. Probably 3 feet tall and wide already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Moon Butterfly Bush by Garden Debut(R)

o

I just picked one up at Lowe's in Tulsa for $40.
I never have good luck with buddleias but I'm hoping this one will stick around for a few years...especially for the price!
Although I don't like the idea of deadheading I'll do it for the butterflies and hummers. :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here