Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative foods for Monarch cats ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 15:19

If you didn't already know this (I didn't) perhaps it may be of interest to those who raise Monarch caterpillars. In the fifth instar, Monarch caterpillars will eat a variety of pumpkins and cucumber and go on to successful pupation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Butterfly Ranch: alternative food for hungry monarch cats

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative foods for Monarch cats ...

Several years ago Jacqui Knight, of the New Zealand Monarch Trust, shared this method of feeding pumpkin, etc. I have tried the pumpkin on fifth instars (see photo below). I peeled the pumpkin, cubed it, put a hole in the middle, and then placed the cubes of pumpkin on the stems of milkweed. If used on first to early fourth, the caterpillars will not thrive.
Monarch Caterpillars Eating Pumpkin Closeup

Here is a link that might be useful: Search on New Zealand Monarch Trust for Pumpkin

o

I wish I had that problem! I'm not seeing any Monarchs at all, much less caterpillars! Now that the wild milkweed are more easily spotted (some are blooming), I checked some roadside milkweed plants today....nothing found at all. I even drove by the dam area where I was seeing Monarchs last fall and saw none. However, I did see a Queen in my yard the other day, first I've seen this year!

o

I have what I call butterfly buddies who share stock with me and I share with them in Virginia

Have you tried emailing any of the people that post sightings on Journey North for eggs and caterpillars. I usually follow the migration on their maps and sighting. The sightings website is a drop down list so you have to select the category. If you click on a sighting in the list, there is an email option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Journey North Sightings and Maps

o

Back in 2007, sandwhy mentioned that Lincoln Brower raised monarchs on cabbage back in the 60s. Also said pumpkin would work.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/butterfly/msg071334123708.html

The thread I've linked from 2009 is the first time I remember pumpkin getting mentioned here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do your monarch cats eat pumpkin???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here