Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery perennial

Posted by monkeybelle 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 15:28

Hello all. Happy Spring!

Was cleaning up the garden and noticed this plant. I thought I had kept an accurate list of everything I've planted, but this one slipped by. The largest leaves are only about 1" across. I have no idea what it could be. Any guesses? I've gone through my plant list and everything is accounted for, and I don't have any good pics of this spot in my garden to compare to. I live in Southern NJ, and I tend to focus on nectar plants in this spot of my yard, if that helps any. I'm going to post on the mystery plant forum as well, but figured I'd give it a go here, too.

Any guesses (even long shots) are appreciated. I can do the research. I just don't know where to start!

Thanks,
Sandy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery perennial

Could it be coreopsis?

o

I think it is! I had thought I bought one last year, but as it wasn't on my "list" I second guessed myself. Someone on the "name the plant" forum also suggested Coreopsis auriculata, and the foliage seems to be a match.

Thanks Lisa!

o

I have them coming up in my garden too, plus all the dry stems, I thought that was a good possibility!

Lisa

o

Hi Sandy,

This looks to me like Dwarf Tickseed - Coreopsis auriculata 'Nana'. The leaves of 'Nana' are more rounded and the plant sort of mounds, low to the ground, much like your photo shows. It is a spring bloomer for me.

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here