Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillar ID

Posted by gdane123 NW FL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 15:43

I have a nest of Carolina Chickadees in my backyard and I see them with this orange looking caterpillar all the time. When I googled "orange caterpillar", all it brought up was the a different one that has more hair on it. Funny enough, I found others asking about a hairless orange caterpillar that no one could ID. Although I do see a bit of hair towards the front...

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillar ID

No idea but it looks like a great picure of a happy bird with a big fat juicy butterworm.

o

It doesn't look at all like any butterfly or moth caterpillar that I'm familiar with, so it's most likely the larva of some other type of bug. Is there agriculture in your area? It's probably some type of larva like you see on vegetables, for example, Mexican bean beetle larva, cabbage worms, etc. I'll look through my lepidoptera books tonight, but I doubt I'll find anything.
Sherry

o

I'm thinkin' sawfly larvae, but don't know for sure.

o

What do you mean, Cabbage Worms????
-Jmcat

o

The caterpillars that show up on cabbage family plants are called "cabbage worms" - I don't know any more about them than that. There may be several different types.
Sherry

o

The caterpillars that show up on cabbage family plants are called "cabbage worms"

Well, if they're caterpillars, they aren't worms. Pieris rapae caterpillars or Cabbage Loopers, possibly, but not worms. ;)
-Jmcat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here