Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Excited, Excited, Excited!!!

MissSherry
9 years ago

Can you tell I'm excited? :/

I took some verbenas to the garden I just bought at Walmart to plant in a pot out there, and I saw a pearl crescent flitting around. When I saw her flitting around the Georgia asters, I stood perfectly still. She stayed and stayed in the asters, and after she left, I carefully lifted up a leaf and found a large cluster of tiny eggs!!

I've never seen a pearl crescent caterpillar, which is apparently not unusual, since the lepidoptera author David Wagner says he's never seen one either. I've read that they use asters, so, I planted several varieties of asters last year, including some Georgia asters in a prominent spot in my garden. They're VERY vigorous, having spread from one plant all over the raised bed they're in, and last year they grew tall and made beautiful, large asters.

Anyway, I've been looking for pearl crescent/pearly crescentspot eggs and caterpillars for about ?14 years, with no success. It feels beyond wonderful that she found and used my Georgia asters - YAY!!

I'll get a picture when I can, but I don't want to go back now, because she might want to lay more eggs.

Sherry

Comments (17)

• shannon74
    9 years ago

Love the Pearl Crescent. can't wait to see pics of the eggs!

• Tony G
    9 years ago

What a fantastic way to start to your butterfly season....Congrats Miss Sherry! Tony

• Tom
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Sherry!!!!

So happy for you.

Looking forward to pictures.

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Congrats on collecting the elusive Pearl Crescent eggs :)

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

That is so, so incredible! We are excited too--can't wait for the pics! Your heart must have been a-pounding!

• susanlynne1948
    9 years ago

Congrats, MissSherry! Very exciting indeed!

The only person I know who has captured and raised Pearl Crescents is Sandy, Butterflymomok (?). She has photos on her pdase page.

I have never found any either. I have seen the PCs flitting around and appear to lay eggs on the Aster oblongifolium that I had, but never found the eggs. I have even seen evidence of munching and lots of tiny frass, but no cats. I also so lots of wasps on the plants.....yikes!

Keep us posted on their progress.

Susan

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan, it's good to hear from you again!

The bed the asters are in is a corner bed, so I put some bridal veil around the outside of the fence and attached it. I'll go to Walmart and get some more material, then attach some to finish the triangle, plus put some on top. Since this bed has benefit of the fence on two of the three sides, I can protect them without the material actually touching the plants, sort of like I'm building a caterpillar cage. Of course, it won't keep out some bugs that can enter from the bottom, and, unless I seal the sides, a wasp might get in, but it will definitely deter them, maybe stop them altogether. I had to finish raising the last 2 of the 4 viceroy or RSP cats myself that were on the potted willow, because two disappeared, I'm sure victim of a wasp. How I hate those wasps!

I'll also test some aster leaves to see how they hold up in water. If they do well, I can raise some in a cage, but the leaves look real fleshy, like they'll wilt. As the asters grow, though, the leaves develop longer petioles, so that may change, I'll see.

Thanks all for the replies! Here's a picture I just got of the eggs. There may be more than one cluster, but I'm only aware of this one -

{{gwi:461906}}

Sherry

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Oh, how fun! She must have read the misssherry's garden reviews on GW and wanted her youngsters to have the best. ;) Looking forward to seeing photos.
    --------
    ha-ha I left mid-write to feed the birds, and you snuck in a photo.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 11:57

• zieglergarden
    9 years ago

Wow that's so cool!
    How long have you had the plant for?

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just since last year.

Sherry

• bethpierce77
    9 years ago

Congrats!!!

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to add something here. I just recently ordered three A. tomentosa vines to plant in a new bed. I got these vines from Pine Ridge Gardens in Arkansas, which is where I got the Georgia asters. Mary Ann lists Georgia asters as A. grandiflorus, but other sites call them A. georgiana or something like that. Many sites use the new term, Symphyotrichum instead of Aster, which has further confused the issue, which was already confused enough, because there are so many types of asters, including many that are probably local hybrids.

So, my point is, I'm not sure my asters are really Georgia asters. Whatever they are, the pearl crescents like them, though, and that's what counts! The eggs hadn't hatched as of yesterday, but I think I'll finish out the 'cage' today.

Sherry

• runmede
    9 years ago

Congrats Sherry.

A friend got me started raising Pearl Crescents when he shared some larvae with me. In my garden, they love New England Asters. He recommended using potted Asters, netting the butterflies, and then putting them into a container with the asters. If the asters are blooming, they will have food. A day or two in the container and they will lay on the asters. Then, set them free. I've raised hundreds of Pearl Crescents using this method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Symphyotrichum novae-angliae, New England Asters

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The eggs are changing color, so they may finally be about to hatch. While I was out in the garden looking under the leaf, she came to the raised bed where the asters are growing. She flitted around and stayed for a while in a section that I couldn't see, but I think she laid a small cluster there. Then, about a minute later, she came back and stayed what seemed like an hour while I was sitting there. I could see her lower abdomen touching the underside of the leaf, so I knew she was laying eggs. When she left, I looked under the leaf, and there was a HUGE cluster of eggs!

I took a picture of her while she was basking in the asters -

{{gwi:461908}}

Sherry

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Sweet shot!! And double bonus; you got more eggs to raise :-D
    Congrats on your keen eye in collecting a species rarely seen in its caterpillar stage.

John

• butterflymomok
    9 years ago

Congrats, Sherry! I never saw the eggs. Please document and share the growth with us.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll try to, Sandy, but everything about this butterfly is SO tiny! I may have to wait to take caterpillar pictures when they're big enough to be seen. :/

Sherry

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA