Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Monarch Greenhouse

jeri
11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

My husband is going to build a house for the Monarch's to be safe in while they go from egg to butterfly when I will release them. Do any of you have suggestions for this? Is the screen material that one would use on a window sufficient to keep predators out? I'm not sure it will keep ants out, but I'm not sure that is important???

Last year, I used the 5'9" cubed Greenhouse Castle and it was a lot of fun. But, I really needed more space so DH is building one for me that will be twice that big! I'm very excited about this!

Comments (4)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    11 years ago

I don't know where you live but if you are in zone 10 Florida, I believe ants will be a major problem. I've seen people in southern Florida go to great lengths to protect their monarchs from ants.

• jeri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Southern California.

Other than promoting aphids, what do the ants do to the cats or plants? Do you think a regular window screen would keep them out?

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    11 years ago

Ants will run off with eggs and caterpillars.

I'm not aware of any real aggressive ants in southern Cal so whatever screening material you use should work out. There are predators that can get through most screening material but they are rarely numerous enough to worry about.

Good luck with the project.

KC

• jeri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DH is working hard to get it done asap - it's going to be GREAT! I'll post a pic or 2 when it is done.

I've not seen any Monarch's yet, but my tropical milkweed is just starting to bloom, so that should get their attention.

It's a race to see which happens first - eggs or rearing house finished! :-)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living