Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

'Too Bad Rosy Maple Moths Aren't Bigger.....

MissSherry
9 years ago

because their colors are so striking!

This cute pair have been on a kitchen screen window all day - dig those hot pink feet!

{{gwi:462458}}

Sherry

Comments (9)

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Are those for real Sherry or did you PhotoShop those colors? Lol I have never heard of them, they are incredible! Thanks for sharing.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No PhotoShopping here, they're for real.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia's Article About Rosy Maple Moths

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Sherry, those are fabulous moths!!
    What's their geographical range?

John

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, according to the book, "Caterpillars of Eastern North America" by David L. Wagner -

"OCCURRENCE: Bottomlands, woodlands, and forests from southern Canada to Florida and Texas. One generation in New England and much of East with caterpillars from July to September, two to three generations southward with mature caterpillars from May to November............The pupae overwinters below ground. The adult rosy maple moth is beautifully rendered in yellow and pink. When handled, they feign death, lying on their side, holding the wings over the dorsum, and curling the abdomen under the thorax. After the luna moth, this may be the runner-up with regard to garnering public interest in moths."

The rosy maple moth is in the same subfamily of giant silk moths as regal moths and imperial moths, both of which go underground to make their pupa. Regal and imperial moths only have one generation a year, even in the Deep South, and, of course, they're much bigger, being the two big differences. I've found the caterpillars, but I can't remember what they were feeding on, maple or oaks - they use both. I've never tried raising any myself, because you have to provide them with something to burrow in, and there's never been any shortage of them here.

Sherry

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Sherry.
    Hope you had a happy Easter.
    (Those guys look a little like Peeps LOL)

John

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I have never seen one, then again we don't have many maple or oak trees for them to feed on. My maple tree made the winter so here is to hoping!!

SCG

• molanic
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous! I saw them on the checklist for my county so hopefully I will get to see them at some point.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband told me late yesterday that there was a big moth by the back steps -

{{gwi:462459}}

I made a picture of another giant leopard moth last year on the very same bricks - there's a light above the steps that we must have left on night before last that apparently attracts them.

This morning I found a female spiny oakworm moth on the American lady cage -

{{gwi:462460}}

Moths can be colorful, too!

Sherry

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

I am so jealous! You have such a huge variety of gorgeous moths.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area