Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First butterfly of Spring

Posted by tucker_sp Z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:29

It's about 65 today, sunny but windy. Yesterday was the first 70-deg. day since early last October. I was sitting in the back yard this afternoon watching a couple of young squirrels exploring for the first time, and a mourning cloak butterfly came floating across the yard and then over the house. Very nice to see it out of hibernation and flying, but there is almost nothing for it to eat at this point - hope it does alright.
Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First butterfly of Spring

Tucker,
Mourning Cloaks nectar on tree sap. So, any recently broken branches from wind or ice storms will provide food sources for them. Should be fine.

Martha

o

That's great Tucker!

Sherry

o

Great!! Mourning Cloaks are THE first butterfly of Spring.
They often come out of hibernation before the Robins arrive.
They love to feed on tree sap and bask in the warm sun.
You may be able to coax one into your garden using a ripe banana and/or mango in a clay saucer in a sunny, sheltered area in your garden.
This method will work beautifully later in the Spring for attracting Commas and Question Marks, along with Red Admirals and Red Spotted Purples.

John

o

Mourning cloaks are pretty rare here, I've only seen them a few times, once in late fall, the other two times in late winter. Late last winter (2012/2013) there was one that I first saw clinging to a bush in a blustery north wind. It stayed until the weather got better, and I so hoped to have mourning cloak eggs/caterpillars, but didn't get any.
When it landed on the gravel driveway, I got this, my one and only MC picture -

photo MourningCloak_zpsd5c773db.jpg

Sherry

o

Beautiful photo of an exquisite butterfly :-)

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here