Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

I've Got Monarch Eggs!! Off and running.....

susanlynne48
13 years ago

On my itty bitty milkweed. We'll see how that goes.

Susan

Comments (16)

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Me too! On my itty bitty milkweed! Seeing quite a few Monarchs this year, and seeing them on a daily basis. Looks to be a good year.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    13 years ago

Well, congratulations, I guess! :)
    Maybe you can find some bigger milkweed roadside, or your little MWs will do some big time growing!
    Sherry

• angie83
    13 years ago

First Monarch today and she was very weathered but she left me some eggs her wings were frayed but I sure was glad to see her. Angie

• caterwallin
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Susan! I hope you have enough milkweed to feed them.
    Cathy

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Me, too, Cathy! I lost my biggest A. incarnata this year. She layed eggs on the smaller one. I have planted milkweed seeds and I planted 2 other A. speciosa seedlings this morning, for a total now of 3. I noticed today that the Cynanchum laeve is coming up, so maybe I'll have enough if she doesn't lay any more eggs for now.

Angie, are these really your first Monarchs this year? How did they get to Oklahoma so quick and bypass your milkweed? You're in Texas, right?

Susan

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I have 7 Monarch caterpillars! I have 4 plants of Mexican Milkweed, a couple small A. asperula and a few smallish A. texana plants left. Maybe that will do. Some of the foliage on Mexican Milkweed and a whole A. texana plant has been eaten by milkweed beetles already. But of course, there is also roadside A. asperula in the area...that's the source of the 7 eggs! The monarchs haven't skipped Texas entirely, but haven't found my yard yet.

• angie83
    13 years ago

Yep Im by coast in Texas and Iv had few butterflys this year its so sad nothing but GF and now my first monarch hope she comes back Iv got tons of milkweed for her. My family jewels milkweed is grown like nuts this year I planted it with citric soil this year they died last year from being too wet they hate wet feet . Angie

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Congrats susanlynne! Oh my...your post has got me to thinking. I have officially seen 3 Monarchs in my yard so far this season. I do have lots of Tropical MW plants growing in pots on my porch, and there is Common MW coming up nicely in the yard. I hadn't thought to check it for eggs.~Angie

• minrose
    13 years ago

This is encouraging to here, I have about 5-6 weeks yet to wait before I see any monarchs.

• rjj1
    13 years ago

Amber and I have been collecting cats for a few days now. It does look to be a good year for them IF we get some rain soon.

randy

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Minrose - they may be there sooner than you think!

Randy, I know you always have a "gaggle" of Monarch eggs and caterpillars at your place!

How's Amber doing, BTW?

Susan

• swallowtailgirl
    13 years ago

The same thing happened to me. We don't usually see many monarchs until August here in this part of Georgia, but on Sunday a lone, weathered female found the milkweed plant I had pulled out of the green house and spent hours laying eggs. There weren't many leaves on that plant, so I went to the nursery the next day and bought two more plants. I'll have babies soon! Yeah!

• rjj1
    13 years ago

Susan,

Amber retired from gymnastics at the end of last year. She got tired of always being in pain. Now she's coaching. It's something she has talked about doing for a few years now and she really enjoys it.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good for her, Randy! I can't imagine that being in pain all the time was very pleasant. This way, she is still involved in her beloved sport.

Congrats everyone on your eggs, too!

Susan

• wifey2mikey
    13 years ago

I found monarch eggs on my butterfly weed today! YAY! I only see two, but I'll take it!

~Laura

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

swallowtailgirl....what part of GA are you in? I am in the upper NW corner, and like you, I don't normally see any Monarchs until August. I am amazed that I am seeing them here in the yard now, and extra amazed that they are laying eggs all over my little bitty milkweed plants.
    My Butterfly Weed is just starting to come up now. I do have potted Tropical MW on the porch. Gosh, I hope they don't lay eggs on those little tiny seedlings, but I bet they will.~~Angie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!