Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Finally

susanlynne48
11 years ago

Mama Black Swallowtail came fluttering into the garden today while I was outside sitting on the stoop watching all the activity. She layed eggs for me and I watched her for quite ahile. I did check for those little bitty yellow dots on the Fennel and there they were!

So much is going on! I can barely keep track of it all.

Susan

Comments (16)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Congrats, Susan! You'll have fun raising those cats or watching them raise themselves. I like to raise black swallowtails myself, because they seem to be a wasp favorite. Plus, they're so easy to raise, at least when they're eating rue, which holds up well in water, even rooting, as I'm sure you know!

I let the mock bishop's weed come up in a bed in my garden, even put a little chicken manure around it. The black swallowtails have used it in the past - it looks like dill and fennel, and it's in that family - and it comes back every year, even spreading freely by seeds. So, the black swallowtails will have a choice in my garden - rue or mock bishop's weed. The MBW started blooming a few weeks ago, so I wish the swallowtails would show up - you know how they like those flowers!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Susan,

Send that female my way. I still haven't seen a Black Swallowtail. But, i'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Congrats on your eggs.

Sandy

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think she's headed your direction. Very late to arrive this year, but better late than never. I've got so much egg laying going on my head is swimming.

Susan

• bandjzmom
    11 years ago

Goodness Susan, you do have a lot going on. I am barely seeing any butterflies in my yard yet. It's been cold here.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Congrats! I've been checking my Bronze Fennel almost daily and still no eggs or cats. : ( There's PLENTY there for them to eat when they do show up. That stuff reseeds like crazy.

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

I found eggs on the parsley tonight. Finally!! Thanks for sending her my way.

• instar8
    11 years ago

Cool! I've been watching for swallowtails,haven't seen one yet... but what a weird year! I've already got monarch eggs! My bronze fennel stand is going strong after this mild winter and warm spring, so i'm sure i'll have lots of stripey babies.

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

I haven't seen a black swallowtail, but I have found the eggs and have three caterpillars that have already formed their chrysallis.

~Laura

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

That is great, Laura. Those sneaky butterflies can come in and leave eggs without us ever seeing them! I didn't see the BSW that laid the eggs I found. No caterpillars yet.

Sandy

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

Sandy - my biggest problem is that my long haired chihuahua, Maci, loves to eat parsley and dill. I'm afraid she's going to eat the eggs! I'm trying to keep her out of the gardens but it's hard - she's an adventurous little sneak!

~Laura

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

I would love to see Maci. She must like her greens. Libby, my long haired chi, loves veggies. I haven't caught her eating the parsley or dill--just grass.

Bring the eggs in when you see them, and stick the stem in water. Dill and parsley do well in water or picks. And the cats don't start wandering until they get pretty large. I've had large "bouquets" on the kitchen counter covered with caterpillars.

Sandy

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

this is Maci last summer - sneaking back out through the lantana.

{{gwi:462640}}

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! She and Libby could be sisters. I see she is a tricolor as well. How much does she weigh? I've included a link to photos of Libby.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Libby's gallery

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

Maci is a rescue... got her from Pet Adoption League when a breeder (aka puppy mill) had to surrender all their dogs. She weighs about 7 pounds.

~Laura

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG - love it when y'all post photos of your babies! So so adorable. Having met Libby in person, I can vouch she is a precious companion, Sandy! Laura, your Maci is equally sweet!

Thanks for sharing!

MissSherry needs to post photos of her sweetie pies, too. Love those cuties, too! We should have an OT Pet Thread so we can drool over everybody's little darlins'!!

Susan

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Your dogs are precious - I just LOVE dogs!

Since we're posting tricolors -

{{gwi:456601}}

{{gwi:462644}}

Sherry

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz