Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

Anyone work with village/town to change leaf removal practices?

bernergrrl
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

So great to see you all here and busy with butterflies already! I'm getting ready to put in another garden and have been starting seeds. Kids are getting a little older, so it makes it easier. I am even involved at my Kindergartner's school where we are adding a nature area, and a butterfly garden will be going in soon! :)

I was at an event for Earth Day today, and talked with our forestry person here and then someone who heads the leaf removal in the fall. I was able to get their ears and talk about butterflies/moths that rely on the leaf debris for the completion of their life cycles. They listened to me and seemed interested in doing something about it.

Has anyone tried something with their village/town to change leaf removal practices? Just want to see if there are any ways of addressing a place to put leaves, keep leaves in position and in a manner that allows the butterflies/moths to cpmplete their cycles.

I think part of it will be public education and encouraging residents to keep leaves (and other plant "debris") in their yards. Everyone blows or rakes the leaves into the street to get picked up later.

Thought I'd check here before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists