Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A new species to raise

Posted by butterflymomok (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 18:35

I went out today to my favorite "away" butterfly location, about an hour from home. Got to see lots of butterflies, which was an upper since I've seen very few at home. One butterfly that was in abundance was the Falcate Orangetip. I watched a female laying an egg on one of the common weeds--I think it was Peppergrass--will need to check it out. I picked the weed and several around it and brought them home. The egg resembles a Sleepy Orange egg. I will see if I can get the camera set up and get a photo tomorrow with some natural light. I can release this butterfly down at Butterfly Acres, as I've seen the FAORs there in the woods. My first lep egg of the season!

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A new species to raise

Congrats, Sandy! I don't see these often, but they're soooooo pretty!

Susan

o

How wonderful, Sandy! I only see falcate orangetips in pictures, and they're certainly beautiful little butterflies!

Keep us posted, with pictures, especially!

Sherry

o

Beautiful find! Have fun with your new caterpillar ro raise!

o

Thanks! This evening I found two caterpillars on the plants! I hadn't been able to find the egg again, so I'm excited to have the caterpillars. They look similar to the Dainty Sulphur caterpillars. I hope to get a photo tomorrow when light is better.

o

Here is the photo. Today one of the larva escaped in the kitchen so I "caged" the other. It is crawling all over the tomato cage looking for a way out. So it is time to pupate. From what I've read, these will go into diapause until next spring/late winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Falcate Orangetip Larva

o

Fantastic picture, Sandy! I'm SO jealous!! :)

Sherry

o

Thanks, Sherry. The larva has made the change to pupa this afternoon while I was out working at the acreage. It's very different looking. I'll post a photo on Pbase tomorrow.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here