Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaniebeagle

mosquito sprays and butterfiles

beaniebeagle
11 years ago

Does the mosquito spray that is advertised as a monthly spray service and with the claims of low toxicity and safety kill the butterflies???

My neighbor had it done. He claimed that it didn't affect the bees and some other insects, but he couldn't recall any effects on butterflies

Comments (7)

• butterflyman
    11 years ago

I'd concentrate on getting rid of water sources in the yard to keep the mosquito population down. I bought some "Mosquito Fish" for my pond and they take care of it. I just poured some water into the pond and it had mosquito larvae in it.

The general rule is not use any type of pesticides in your yard if you want to keep your butterflies happy.

• beaniebeagle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bummer

its hard to get rid of all the water, the alleyway is full of garages with gutters that dont work correctly

• weed30 St. Louis
    11 years ago

The suburb I live in sprays *weekly* for mosquitoes all summer long :(
    Every Thursday, I cover my host plants with an old sheet before the truck comes. This is doable now, since I only have herbs.

I am seriously thinking of starting a petition to stop the spraying, since according to many articles, it doesn't help, and is dangerous as mentioned. Unfortunately, too many people think it is a good thing, especially with the West Nile Virus scare. sigh.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Mosquitoes are bad here now, because all the rain has left standing water, especially down in the hollow.
    I think the petition is a good idea - hopefully, it'll work. I've been bitten by mosquitoes off and on since we moved here in 1996, and I've never gotten WNV nor have any of my neighbors.
    The mosquito truck doesn't come here any more. I used to shake my fist and yell at the driver to go away. I don't know if that's why he doesn't show up any more. We live out in the country. You'd think in this supposedly enlightened day and age people wouldn't resort so quickly to generalized poisons - it's crazy!

Sherry

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

There is nothing you can do to a single yard to prevent being bitten by mosquitoes. They'll just come over from other yards. We have a sprayer truck that comes by occasionally. If there was a set schedule, that would be better. We never know when it's coming and as soon as we hear it, it's a mad dash to close all of the windows. It's disgusting & about as ridiculous and effective as trying to fix a broken leg with a band-aid. Funniest part is that we get bit like crazy here in our yard in town, even 15 minutes after the truck goes by, but when we go visit friends on dirt roads out in the sticks, no bites.

The only truly effective repellant is some kind of smoke. Tell your neighbor he could get a lot more bang for a lot less buck if he just got some tiki torches or citronella candles. My folks have a big ceiling fan on their back porch & if it's on high, the mosquitoes aren't strong enough at flying to go against the current to get to the porch. This is also why nobody gets bit at the beach, too much wind.

Anyway, fire up your google if you want to read about how spraying for mosquitoes & the stuff sprayed on food crops is decimating the bee populations. Anything that will kill 1 critter will kill many kinds, they're indiscriminate chemicals, as stated above. I don't think most people realize humans are dependent upon bees for our survival, unless we are willing to give up about 30% (can't remember the exact number but it's HIGH) of our food selection. As for butterflies, if contact with the spray doesn't kill them, ingesting sprayed plant material probably will. They are collateral damage.

• nel.nucifera
    11 years ago

What about using Mosquito Dunks in standing water? I am trying them out in my lotus and lily ponds.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022