Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make Butterfly bushes thrive?

Posted by Fifthelement111 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 20:40

Hello,
I have two butterfly bushes that both began from a 2 gallon container. One is a black knight and the other is royal red. I bought the black night two summers ago and it has come back every year, but I still have a mere 4 twigs and hardly any blooms. The same is true for the royal red that I planted last year. They still come back and bloom, but it's just a sad sad sight. There is definitely enough sun, what am I missing :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make Butterfly bushes thrive?

You don't say where you are, but I'll tell you what I did to make mine thrive - plant them in raised beds. I planted my first few butterfly bushes directly in the ground, and they didn't even survive the winter, even though I'm in Zone 8, on the edge of Zone 9, I found out that butterfly bushes HAVE to have good drainage, and our wet winters were what was killing mine.
Since I started planting them in raised beds in my garden, they've all thrived and bloom from spring through fall.

Sherry

o

Also, they need to be pruned back each spring severely. I take mine back to 18 inches. This year I am late--plan to prune this Friday. We've had too many late freezes. Be sure and not prune until all chance of freezing temps are passed.

And my plants are in raised beds like MissSherry's.

Sandy

o

Zone 5 is still very cold and having a late spring. I'm in Zone 6 and my buddleia is only about 12 inches tall.

I think you may not be cutting them back. I cut mine down to about 6" every spring. They are much more vigorous when you do that.

Weird hybrids, Ruby Red, also may not do as well as standard varieties. Here are a few tips in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here