Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with hatching

Posted by Berger13 Mn 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:47

Hi
I have 4 polyphemus,1 Lune moth,1 prothemea,2 Black swallowtail and 2 Tiger swallowtails should I put them in the same 10 gallon tank with some sticks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with hatching

If the swallowtail chrysalises are loose, I suggest putting them on something that the butterflies can grab, like a paper towel. The butterflies need to be able to pull themselves out of the chrysalis. The bottom of a fish tank does not help with that.

Make sure at least some of the sticks rest at the edge of the bottom, where the bottom meets a side. The moths/butterflies will tend to walk to a side and then follow the sides. If your sticks are leaning against the sides and resting on the bottom away from the sides, it is likely the leps won't find them.

My aquariums have been used to raise many cats. The cats have deposited silk on all the sides over the years. While I do scrub the aquariums, I don't scrub hard enough to remove all the silk. There is enough left over that all moths can climb the walls.

KC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here