Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davessels

Question about AsclepiasTubersoa Butterfly Weed

Debra Vessels
9 years ago

I purchased two of these from an reputable online nursery, along with 2 'Ice Ballet' Milkweed.. The butterfly weed are showing no signs of life after being planted for two weeks, while the milkweed are about 6" tall with new growth. Are the butterfly weed much later blooming? Should I have some growth by now, but then my Greggii salvia I planted last year have not shown any new growth this spring either. Any advice?
Thanks, Debra

Comments (10)

• runmede
    9 years ago

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed) usually takes longer to emerge in the spring. They like well drained soil.

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still no sprouts. Anyone in my area have sprouts yet?

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

It's been a very cool spring. Many plants are way behind. I'm in a colder zone than you, but none of my milkweeds (tuberosa, incarnata, poke, syriaca) have shown any signs of life, yet. But, I'm not worried. Everything will come in time. If you don't get sprouts later, come back here and some of us will help you out with seeds or seedlings.

Martha

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Martha, We are expecting a week of 90 degree weather, so I think things will start poping. Patience was never my strong suit!

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Nothing here either...
    They're about the last thing up here in the Spring, right after Jack-in-the-Pulpit, which have begun to break ground.
    I saw an Ice Ballet for sale, about 3-4" high at a local perennial nursery.

• wifey2mikey
    9 years ago

Debra - I was just at a plant farm in Stillwater, OK yesterday. They had pots of tuberosa that had not yet sprouted. If you looked really close at the pots, you could see the tiniest bits of green - but the average eye wouldn't even have noticed. Hang in there - they may come up yet.

That being said, I actually lost a tuberosa plant and have no idea why - it had been there three years - was large and beautiful last year - not sure why it didn't come up. The others in my yard are already up and about 6 inches tall.

~Laura

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Laura, I have read in a few places that they can be difficult to raise in my area, not lasting more than a year or two. We will see.

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally! One has a one inch sprout, and the other is still just a tiny green spot, but they are alive. Just when I was about to dig them up and plant something else in their place. I can't wait to see how fast they grow and get some blooms.

• roper2008
    9 years ago

Good luck with them. I have the orange Tubersoa, and
    it's my favorite. So beautiful. Mine is getting ready to
    bloom. It is about 6 or 7 years old now.

• Debra Vessels
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks roper2008, mine are also orange. I have great expectations for them, I did not realize they would be this late blooming. But then I have to remember that July is the busiest for the bees and butterflies. I think it will sprout sooner next year.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz