Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly bush... are you alive?

Posted by david883 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:55

So not only is it split pretty significantly at its "trunk" but when I did a little light pruning the other day (only a few inches back so far) there was no green inside the little branches. We had a pretty extreme winter here so... what does everyone think my odds are? I just planted it last year and it got huge but I'm apprehensive of its survival. Its a blueberry cobbler I believe. I figured this board was the best place to ask.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly bush... are you alive?

My butterfly bushes look like that and I'm in zone 7a. I am going to give them time. They can come back from the root, if they are not totally dead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is my butterfly bush dead?

o

David, I have 14 butterfly bushes in my yard, and they are truly some of the most hardy plants around. I am in zone 7b, and all of my varieties except for Sungold now have "some" leaves on them. I would expect yours would be a bit behind mine, so I would guess that your odds are dadgum good that your bush is just fine. :) Angie

o

Thanks to you both. I'm certainly going to give them some time... especially now that we got another 2-3 inches of snow last night out of nowhere (after a few solid days in the 60s and even 70s!) So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. It grew so much in its first season out there that it wouldn't be too discouraging to have to replace it but I'd hate to anyway ha ha.

Thanks again

o

After reading runmede's link to previous posts I am wondering, though, how it dies back to the ground. Its got such a thick base/trunk... I'm not going to go out and cut anything back but does that mean that you literally cut that trunk to ground? Hopefully I'll get to find out if this one comes back :)

o

When we have late bad weather it is better not to cut back until you see some growth or until weather stabilizes. A late frost/snow storm can kill back new growth. I am slowing my cleanup and I'm glad I did. It is snowing and hailing tonight with temps down to 20. 7a wasn't 7a this winter for me.

o

David, No, you don't cut them down to the ground, but you can cut them back to 1-2ft. I usually just cut back to whatever is the thickest trunk branch. They bloom on new wood, so you will get more blooms by cutting back.~Angie

o

I'm in 5a and I haven't noticed any growth on mine yet. I haven't pruned them yet either. I usually go down to no higher than a foot off the ground once I see some signs of new growth, sometimes earlier. If it died back further I go back and cut off some more later.

If it doesn't come back, and you have trouble overwintering them you may want to consider starting some from seed. For years I bought cultivars in the store and they usually didn't live more than a year or two and never got very big or healthy looking. Then I started some from seed via wintersowing and planted out five plants that are still going strong more than five years later. I think the straight species is much hardier than the cultivars you buy in the stores. It does get huge though and is invasive in many areas. I try to keep mine deadheaded to prevent problems.

o

I don't foresee mine coming back:( The Dairy State has had a HOLY COW Winter...
But we'll see.
I'll be surprised-and thrilled- if my White Profusion comes back; it was my biggest draw.
Oh, well... Swallowtails love Swamp Milkweed more than anything (Esp Tigers). And it's reliable in -0 degree weather.

John

o

The best place that I have found to buy native and non native butterfly plants. He has butterfly bushes for $5.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=dogwooderitternet&rt=nc
Ron Rottman dogwood@eritter.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Ron Rottman eBay link

o

Have you heard of Monarda Blue Stocking? Wow! (He has it listed). Are they attractive to butterflies as well, or just sterile cultivars? I found them particularly spectacular.

John

o

Ron's plants are pesticide free, too.

o

I lost various bushes this winter. Mine is growing like crazy. If you find that your's didn't make it I will be glad to send you a start.

o

Thanx, Runmede.
I like that he's pesticide free and I love Monarda Blue Stocking. I'm going to order some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here