Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarch Cats Spotted

Posted by rickinla 8B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:17

Evidently a Monarch mama visited my Tropical Milkweed and I found 5 cats this afternoon. The milkweed is blooming and when I checked the blooms, there they were. Unfortunately, we're having a low of 43 tonight so I hope the cats can handle the cold weather. I still haven't seen a Monarch this year but they must be around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarch Cats Spotted

The cats should be fine. They usually go into a state of diapause when it is too cold for them. I bring most of my cats inside and raise them in cages inside, lets me watch their progress and keeps them safe from predators. You have to be careful of OE spore, though. I thoroughly clean and sterilize my cages between raising groups of butterflies.

I have had lots of activity already this season! I have purchased 2 flats of milkweed and they are all chewed down already! All of the milkweed I have in the ground hasn't bushed out with leaves as yet. I need to get out and cut it all back so the leaves will be stimulated to grow.

Best of luck to you! Keep an eye on your cats and enjoy their progress!

o

I am so glad for both of you! If you are seeing lots of activity, that's a good omen for us northerners. Take good care of those babies and send them our way when you can. We're getting ready. My goal for today is to get my annual nectar plants planted so they'll be blooming when the Monarchs come through.

Martha

o

Congrats, Rick!

My milkweed isn't very tall yet - too many cold spells, I guess - but I'll check it for cats.

Sherry

o

I kept 4 plants in pots under lights in the barn this winter and put them out a couple of weeks ago. They are blooming and have seed pods. The cats seem to prefer the yellow variety over the red/yellow variety, as I have only spotted them on the yellow ones. I checked this morning and everyone seems fine, chewing away. I have some screen material to make an enclosure but haven't gotten to it yet. Hopefully they'll do fine on their own.

o

Good to know people are seeing butterflies and cats. Gives me hope for warmer and sunnier days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here