Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jibd

Is my passionvine dead?

jibd
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

My Passiflora incarnata hasn't sent up any new growth yet. It was just planted last year, and last fall I cut off all the dead top growth and just left an inch or so left above ground. So far, I haven't seen any signs of life on this plant. I am in zone 6a, in the far northern reaches of where this plant can be grown as a perennial. I know a definitive answer can't really be given since plants sometimes come back without warning, but has anyone else in zone 6 seen any growth yet? I'm wondering if I should order a new vine to have for the frits ASAP.

Comments (6)

• mechelle_m
    12 years ago

Hi jibd,

I am not in zone 6, but I have lots of passionvine. I have been told it is the maypop variety. I have volunteers coming up all over the place. Already have lots of gulf frits visiting and laying eggs everywhere! So far it has been a great year for the butterflies.

If you would like to try some of these and see if they will survive, send me an email so we can arrange the mailing.

Mechelle

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I'm not in Zone 6 either, but maypops/P. incarnata come up in spring in a REAL staggered pattern down here. The first ones come up in ?early March, maybe even late Feb. in warm winters, but continue to come up in March and April in the same spot they were growing last year. They'll come up away from the original spot all spring and summer long.
    The amount of water in the ground makes a difference. Plants growing in better drained spots will come up before those in more poorly drained spots. Of course, maypops aren't swamp plants and won't grow at all in boggy conditions.
    I think yours will eventually return.

Sherry

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Hi jibd,

As one common name for this vine suggests, "Maypop", it can be late to appear in the spring. Since you live in a colder climate, I'd give it more time to see if it appears. I live in 7b and last year, it didn't show up until late April and I grow it in a big pot. This year it was showing it's green shoots in early March, but we had an unusally mild winter here.

If you find you need a replacement, I'm sure we can help you without you having to pay for the plants AND shipping.

Mary

• jibd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for your generous offers! It's so nice to see such kind posters on this forum. I'm encouraged that maybe it will come back; I'd never really put thought into the name 'Maypop' before. If it doesn't come back, I'll be sure to get in touch with one of you. :-)

• bandjzmom
    12 years ago

I am in zone 7a, and I can tell you about my experience with Passiflora incarnata here. I planted it in 2010. It took forever to come back in 2011. This year, I am already seeing it coming back. So, I would give it time.~~Angie

• jibd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here in zone 6a,I saw the first signs of life today. There's finally a little green bud forming from the roots. It just needed some time to wake up, I suppose.