Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

First flowers of Spring.

Leafhead
9 years ago

Spring is officially here, and the first Farmer's Market of the season was today. Fun, fun!!
And according to the weather, we're in for a warm stretch all week, so I planted Plantain Leaved Pussytoes (Antennaria plantaginafolia), my first official purchase and planting of the season :-) Let the games begin!
In addition to my three beds of Pearly Everlasting and three existing Pussytoes patches, I'm quite the Ladies' man hehehe... (I had to sneak that in.)
In absence of any more hard freezes or (Grrr) snow, I'd say that American Ladies and Red Admirals are imminent.
I even direct sowed some Pigeon Pea and some Cosmos.
I'm excited to finally have some real butterfly weather up here
in Wisconsin.Yay for Spring!!

John

Comments (14)

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

John,
    My Stinging Nettles have sprouted beautifully and I also have Pussy Toes and many varieties of Penstemon. Most of my perennials are showing signs of returning, and some have spread much farther than I had expected. My husband has been hoping to maintain some order and separation between the various clumps of plants. If we attempt to continue that management, we may have our work cut out for us. I don't care either way as long as the bugs and birds are happy.

Martha

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Hehehe! :) You're indeed the ladies man, John! Here's hoping the 'girls' show up soon!

My pearly everlastings are due this week. Other than the cudweed that comes up in the garden and all around, that's the only host plant I have for them. We have rabbit's tobacco/Gnaphalium obtusifolium, but it doesn't bloom until late summer, and the ladies like to make their nests from those blooms. I rarely ever see AL cats on the rabbit tobacco - their prime time here is spring.

Speaking of weeds, I haven't yet mowed the grassy area around my garden and blueberry bushes, because I've been so busy this season redoing and replanting things. A nice size flock of indigo buntings just LOVE those weeds. Every time I come out to the garden, they're there. These weeds make seeds very early, so maybe they like the unripe seeds? I have a sunflower seed feeder, and I see them underneath it sometimes, but they prefer the spring weeds. So, I'm leaving it as is until the buntings move on.

Sherry

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Indigo Buntings! How exciting!! They are among America's most beautiful songbirds. I get a lot of Goldfinch on various Asteraceous plants in the garden throughout the summer and fall. They love the seeds and flowers. Esp Coreopsis, Cup Plant and Cosmos.

Anything named Rabbit Tobacco wouldn't last a night around here, I'm afraid...Sigh.

I have a "weed patch" too where I grow Stinging Nettles, Violets, Milkweed, Dogbane, Thistles and White Snakeroot. It is semi shady to sunny and low lying. I plan on adding some Prairie Thistle to the mix and pulling the invasive kind out. I also have some Joe-Pye Weed seed and Ironweed seed to add some nectar and curb appeal.
    The neighbors seem to tolerate the hodge podge appearance of the "Weed Patch", and I reciprocate by bringing butterflies to their back doors.

John

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

I'm happy to hear spring is really finally happening in some of the other parts of the country! Butterflies need those nectar and host plants. I'd love to see Indigo Buntings here! Saw a Painted Bunting briefly a week ago, but it must have passing through, so I'll have to wait on the ones that stay for nesting here. I've had the rare opportunity the past week to have a couple of black & yellow Scott's Orioles around...they visit a hummingbird feeder occasionally to get a little nectar. We don't normally see those.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The prettiest birds that I get in the garden are the Cedar Waxwings that come for the Juneberries.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

I tried to get a picture of one of the indigo buntings that showed up near the feeder, but he flew off too quick. I did manage to get a picture of this gorgeous cardinal -

{{gwi:465383}}

And this pretty goldfinch -

{{gwi:465385}}

Sherry

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Great pics Sherry! Can I ask where you found that feeder? Does it at least slow the squirrels down a little? Thanks.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

Yes, it slows them down completely! I got so tired of squirrels (and we have JILLIONS) hogging the feeder, I ordered this roller feeder. The other feeder was one of the weighted ones, but the squirrels had learned how to hang by their toes on a spot that would leave the feeder open and stuff their mouths with sunflower seed. I assume they were stuffing their cheeks, because I can't imagine they could digest their food hanging upside down. They're unbelievable! They try to get into this roller feeder, but it thwarts them. When I add seeds to the feeder, I sprinkle some on the ground for the squirrels, but at least they can't have it all.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Roller Feeder

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, squirrels are just about the most clever small mammals around...
    Chipmunks are not quite as bright but twice as destructive to the grounds, esp the potted plants. To thwart them from digging in my pots, I just add a layer of egg rock on top of the soil. Stops their digging cold.
    Rabbits!!
    How can I repel them without repelling Butterflies? I'm being eaten out of house and home :(
    I could use a fox or two.

John

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Thanks Sherry! I'm so sick of the squirrels hogging the seeds. I have the weighted ones and as you said, the tree rats have figured them out. I need to start dropping Mother's Day hints. Lol

Rhonda

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Yay, for spring. I finally got around to winter sowing my milkweed last week (lol was stratified in the fridge for a couple months) as was visited by a Mourning Cloak, the first butterfly of the season here, as if it was thanking me.

Great ideas on the pearly everlasting and pussytoes. I was trying to figure out what to plant in my "ditch" garden. Currently I have globe thistle, fireweed, local prunus and buddleia started.

Great bird captures! We are just starting to get them returning. I don't actively invite them in the yard as we have a couple cats that are very good bird hunters.

Wish I could help with the rabbits. I live in the country and we can deal with pests in much different and more aggressive ways. I can say that they make great soup.

SCG

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear they taste like chicken lol
    I wouldn't want to eat a city rabbit though... yucko.
    I'll just hope that their numbers shine as a beacon to any predators in the area. I've seen hawks, owls and even the occasional coyote.
    I found out my neighbors were feeding them all winter and building them to ridiculous numbers. Now I have up to 20 rabbits in a single family size lot!!
    I don't feed birds during the Summer months because they can forage. I only feed in Winter when food is scarce and butterflies are asleep or gone for the season. Attracting birds also affects the caterpillar count as well (except for Monarchs) in a negative way.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Problem is you don't want the predators to become as domesticated makes for a real problem. Live trap, if possible, and euthanize or move is the best bet.

SCG

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I heard an owl outside my window last night. I'm hoping the predatory birds will help keep the garden thieves under control. They are welcome to a few smaller birds, as well, as long as the squirrels, rabbits and voles are kept in check.

Martha

Sponsored
VA Exteriors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Family Owned & Operated Exterior Construction Experts