Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too soon to plant milkweed plant

Posted by callalilykris z5b MI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 22:29

Hi
I am new to planting milkweed. Is it too soon to plant 1 gallon plants in Michigan now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too soon to plant milkweed plant

I would not do it. You likely won't see monarchs until early June. If you want monarchs laying lots of eggs on your plants, you don't want old plants. I'd suggest having your milkweeds seeds sprouting around the 1st or 2nd week of May. The trick is to have young plants that are attractive to egg laying monarchs plus have enough leaves to feed the caterpillars.

In my experience, monarchs' favorite milkweeds to lay eggs on are around 2" tall. So when I say they like young plants, I mean YOUNG. Once you get your milkweed established, make sure you check the tiny plants that are coming up later in the year. They will come up from the spreading rhizomes.

o

The OP didn't mention the species on the milkweed or whether seedlings were to be started.

o

I knew that but your reminder made me think more about it. As someone who spent a lot of time in MI, I figure when a Michigander says "milkweed," she means common milkweed. But now I'm thinking you don't usually find common milkweed in 1 gallon pots, something I had not considered before answering.

So, Kris, what kind of milkweed are you talking about since my answer would not apply to all milkweed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here