Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timvid_gw

Educational Science has an F rating from BBB

timvid
14 years ago

I've ordered several caterpillar tents from educationalscience.com in the past with no problems, but over two months ago I ordered a popup greenhouse that they charged me for ($59.00 plus shipping) and never shipped. I demanded a refund twice and they ignored me, so I went to the BBB website. I was shocked to see they had an F rating (under the name Biogentex Laboratories). It's too bad because the caterpillar tents were a good size and price, but I just can't do business with them anymore. If you do, please use a credit card (I used a debit card) so you can file a dispute with the credit card company when you don't receive your items.

Tim Doyle

www.WildlifeTheater.com

Comments (16)

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tim, that's too bad. I only ordered two small pop up containers from them many years ago and they came with no problems.

I suggest you post this on the "Rate and Review Vendors" Forum here at GW, too.

Susan

• timvid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Susan, I didn't even know that forum existed. I'll post there now.

Tim

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

In case you might be interested, Edith at Shady Oak Butterfly Farm has several containers very reasonably priced. I have the large 72" container on my Wish List. A lot of folks here at the BF Forum have ordered supplies, eggs, host plants, etc. from her and been very pleased.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Shady Oak Butterfly Farm

• timvid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. It looks like they carry the same enclosures that LiveMonarch.org carries. They're slightly cheaper at LiveMonarch. I wish I could find the 27" x 27" by 48" enclosures that Educational Science carries somewhere else. Those were just the right size for me, and $25.

Tim

• texaspuddyprint
    14 years ago

Have you thought of getting reptariums? Apogee makes various sizes. Got mine online as well as at PetsMart and eBay. Guess you can google for it and see if you can get a good price.

I have several that I use for raising silk moths and large butterflies. When a female Rothschild Forbes Silkmoth ecloses I'll put her in a reptarium with a pot of her larval host plant. She can then call to a mate and when one shows up I unzip a flap and let him in. Once the mating process is over I'll release him and keep her a few days so she can lay eggs for me to raise again and then I'll release her so she can continue to lay eggs around the neighborhood.

I also swap out reptariums when one needs cleaning out.

~ Cat

Here is a link that might be useful: 22 gallon reptarium

• timvid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Cat, I'll look into those. Another GardenWeb member emailed me through my website and told me about another company, eNasco.com, that carries the exact same enclosure I was looking for (thanks LeAnn). It's $5 cheaper and this company has an A rating with the BBB. I just ordered several tents from them.

Tim Doyle
    www.WildlifeTheater.com

• jrcagle
    14 years ago

I also use reptariums and am happy with them. Sorry about your bad experience.

Jeff

• rick_cortina
    13 years ago

It would appear that the BBB F rating is justified. I only wish I had done my homework before ordering from them.

I completely understand your frustration with Educational Science and lack of response. They just did the same thing to me except I used a credit card. These guys are bad news. They do not answer the phone nor return Emails.

• runmede
    13 years ago

Butterfly Farm™ Square Pop-Up Cage" 27" x 27" x 48"
    $20, that's $5 cheaper (link in optional link).

Butterfly Farm™ Square Pop-Up Cage" 16-1/2" x 16-1/2" x 30"$14.95

I found this listed on the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: eNASCO (Large Cages)

• flutterby64
    13 years ago

I've always used a wooden-framed cage covered with window screen to raise my cats in, and it's a real pain to clean. I really like the idea of using these pop-up containers & the reptariums. Could you all please tell me how you go about cleaning & disinfecting them?

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I bought my two rearing tents from them in 2009, and they arrived really quickly. I was well pleased with the ordering and receiving. Makes you wonder if the company has changed hands or something. If I wanted another of the HUGE sized tents, I would order from eNASCO for the cheaper price. I didn't realize that Edith sold them. I will def. check that out if I need another one. Love doing business with her!~~Angie

• edusci
    13 years ago

Tim Doyle complained that he never received a pop-up greenhouse after ordering it. The company in California that drop ships this item for Educational Science led us to believe that the item was in stock when it was actually back ordered. As soon as we received notice that the item was back ordered and did not drop ship, Tim Doyle was credited back in full and offered a FREE Flowerhouse pop-up greenhouse. We have no record of phone calls or emails from Mr. Tim Doyle. Educational Science has had over three years of documented problems with the MSN server--both in receiving and sending emails and Q-system phone messages delivered via email ( MSN-800-494-2962 Case # 1135555813) and did not receive any BBB or customer complaints via email, fax or mail which resulted in an arbitrary BBB F rating. According to the BBB, any company that does not respond to a customer complaint will receive a F rating. As a matter of fact, our original email edusci@msn stopped working and we had to change our email to educationalscience@msn.com (documented), which further disrupted communication with our customers. MSN is aware of the server issue and has assured us they are working to resolve the issue.
    Again, the BBB will arbitrarily give a company a F rating if a BBB complaint is not answered. Since responding to the one unanswered complaint our rating with the BBB is now A.

Better Business Bureau
    Start With Trust
    Serving Greater Houston and South Texas

BBB Business Review Reliability Report for
    Biogentex Laboratories, Inc.

Rating: A

Ratings Explanation...

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report.
    Find out more about this business:
    BBB Accreditation
    BBB Rating
    Business Contact & Profile
    Products & Services
    Business Management
    Additional Locations & Phone Numbers
    Customer Complaint History
    Government Action(s)
    Advertising Review
    BBB Copyright and Reporting Policy
    BBB Accreditation
    This business is not a BBB Accredited Business.

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of A on a scale from A+ to F.

Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings.

Business Name: Biogentex Laboratories, Inc.
    Educational Science
    Business Address: 610 Clear Creek Avenue, Suite C
    League City, TX 77573
    See the location on a Mapquest Map
    See the location on a Google Map
    Original Business Start Date: 12/31/1993
    Local Business Start Date: 12/31/1993
    Type of Entity: Corporation
    Incorporated: 1995 in TX
    Principals: James C. Wiggins, President/CEO
    Janice Rogers, Administrative Assistant
    Phone Number: (281) 554-9783
    (281) 334-2064
    Fax Number: (281) 557-4340
    Email Address: jcw_edusci@msn.com
    BBB Accreditation: This business is not a BBB Accredited Business
    Type of Business: BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS
    Website Address:

http://www.educationalscience.com http://www.butterflystores.com http://www.texagenLS.com http://www.ealestra.com

Products & Services
    This company specializes in Molecular & Cell Biology Reagents & Kits, Biotech & Life Science Kits & Equipment & Biotech Education Kits & Equipment.

Business Management
    Ms. Janice Rogers , Administrative Assistant
    Mr. James C. Wiggins , President/CEO

1629 Corniche Street League City , TX 77573

P O Box 747 League City , TX 77574

(281) 554-9783
    (760) 203-1100
    (800) 832-3596
    (281) 557-4340 - Fax

When considering complaint information, please take into account the business's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

BBB processed a total of 8 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 8 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 5 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:

1 regarding Customer Services Issues
    1 regarding Delivery Issues
    1 regarding Product Issues
    5 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues

These complaints were closed as:

8 Resolved
    4 Assumed Resolved
    2 Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
    2 Resolved

Janice
    Educational Science

• edusci
    13 years ago

Tim Doyle complained that he never received a pop-up greenhouse after ordering it. The company in California that drop ships this item for Educational Science led us to believe that the item was in stock when it was actually back ordered. As soon as we received notice that the item was back ordered and did not drop ship, Tim Doyle was credited back in full and offered a FREE Flowerhouse pop-up greenhouse. We have no record of phone calls or emails from Mr. Tim Doyle. Educational Science has had over three years of documented problems with the MSN server--both in receiving and sending emails and Q-system phone messages delivered via email ( MSN-800-494-2962 Case # 1135555813) and did not receive any BBB or customer complaints via email, fax or mail which resulted in an arbitrary BBB F rating. According to the BBB, any company that does not respond to a customer complaint will receive a F rating. As a matter of fact, our original email edusci@msn stopped working and we had to change our email to educationalscience@msn.com (documented), which further disrupted communication with our customers. MSN is aware of the server issue and has assured us they are working to resolve the issue.
    Again, the BBB will arbitrarily give a company a F rating if a BBB complaint is not answered. Since responding to the one unanswered complaint our rating with the BBB is now A.

Better Business Bureau
    Start With Trust
    Serving Greater Houston and South Texas

BBB Business Review Reliability Report for
    Biogentex Laboratories, Inc.

Rating: A

Ratings Explanation...

BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report.
    Find out more about this business:
    BBB Accreditation
    BBB Rating
    Products & Services
    Business Management
    Government Action(s)
    Advertising Review
    BBB Copyright and Reporting Policy
    BBB Accreditation
    This business is not a BBB Accredited Business.

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of A on a scale from A+ to F.

Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings.

Business Name: Biogentex Laboratories, Inc.
    Educational Science
    Business Address: 610 Clear Creek Avenue, Suite C
    League City, TX 77573
    Original Business Start Date: 12/31/1993
    Local Business Start Date: 12/31/1993
    Type of Entity: Corporation
    Incorporated: 1995 in TX
    Principals: James C. Wiggins, President/CEO
    Janice Rogers, Administrative Assistant
    Phone Number: (281) 554-9783
    (281) 334-2064
    Fax Number: (281) 557-4340
    Email Address: jcw_edusci@msn.com
    BBB Accreditation: This business is not a BBB Accredited Business
    Type of Business: BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS
    Website Address:

http://www.educationalscience.com http://www.butterflystores.com http://www.texagenLS.com http://www.ealestra.com

Products & Services
    This company specializes in Molecular & Cell Biology Reagents & Kits, Biotech & Life Science Kits & Equipment & Biotech Education Kits & Equipment.

Business Management
    Ms. Janice Rogers , Administrative Assistant
    Mr. James C. Wiggins , President/CEO

1629 Corniche Street League City , TX 77573

P O Box 747 League City , TX 77574

(281) 554-9783
    (760) 203-1100
    (800) 832-3596
    (281) 557-4340 - Fax

When considering complaint information, please take into account the business's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

BBB processed a total of 8 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 8 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 5 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:

These complaints were closed as:

8 Resolved
    4 Assumed Resolved
    2 Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to the BBB.
    2 Resolved

Janice
    Educational Science

• edusci
    13 years ago

Rick
    Just prior to your placing an order with us for the cages, our stock was depleted by multiple large orders. Normally, the cages take one day to ship from the warehouse in Dallas to our location. We offered to immediately credit back your account or optionally to ship your order when the Apogee terrarium cages arrived (usually one day from Dallas) I am personally looking into why the cages took one week to get in. WE apologize for any inconvenience. We would be more than happy to send you a FREE cage for all your trouble. Please contact Cecilia or April on Tuesday as we are closed for the Columbus day holiday. We look forward to sending you a free Apogee reptarrium. The large pop-up Butterfly breeding cages are imported from China and we have several thousand in stock. Today we have them on sale!!!!!!

By the way, if one complaint goes unanswered, a company will receive an arbitrary F rating by the BBB. Our rating is now A with the BBB.

Janice EDUCATIONAL SCIENCE / Texagen Life Science Online Life Science, Biotechnology, Nature, and Butterfly Store Customer / Technical Support Phone: 281\-554\-9783 (EAST) 760\-203\-1100 (WEST) Fax: 281\-557\-4340 Email: www.educationalscience.com URLS: www.educationalscience.com www.butterflystores.com www.milkweedplants.com www.texagenLS.com Thank you for selecting Educational Science ~~~~Better Business Bureau Start With Trust Serving Greater Houston and South Texas BBB Business Review Reliability Report for Biogentex Laboratories, Inc. Rating: A Ratings Explanation... BBB issues Reliability Reports on all businesses, whether or not they are BBB accredited. If a business is a BBB Accredited Business, it is stated in this report. Find out more about this business: BBB Accreditation BBB Rating Business Contact & Profile Products & Services Business Management Additional Locations & Phone Numbers Customer Complaint History Government Action(s) Advertising Review BBB Copyright and Reporting Policy BBB Accreditation Back to Top This business is not a BBB Accredited Business. BBB Rating Back to Top Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of A on a scale from A+ to F. Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings. Business Contact & Profile Back to Top Business Name: Biogentex Laboratories, Inc. Educational Science Business Address: 610 Clear Creek Avenue, Suite C League City, TX 77573 See the location on a Mapquest Map See the location on a Google Map Original Business Start Date: 12/31/1993 Local Business Start Date: 12/31/1993 Type of Entity: Corporation Incorporated: 1995 in TX Principals: James C. Wiggins, President/CEO Janice Rogers, Administrative Assistant Phone Number: (281) 554\-9783 (281) 334\-2064 Fax Number: (281) 557\-4340 Email Address: jcw\_edusci@msn.com BBB Accreditation: This business is not a BBB Accredited Business Type of Business: BIOLOGICAL PRODUCTS Website Address: http://www.educationalscience.com http://www.butterflystores.com http://www.texagenLS.com http://www.ealestra.com Products & Services Back to Top This company specializes in Molecular & Cell Biology Reagents & Kits, Biotech & Life Science Kits & Equipment & Biotech Education Kits & Equipment. Business Management Back to Top Ms. Janice Rogers , Administrative Assistant Mr. James C. Wiggins , President/CEO Additional Locations & Phone Numbers Back to Top 1629 Corniche Street League City , TX 77573 See the location on a Mapquest Map See the location on a Google Map P O Box 747 League City , TX 77574 See the location on a Mapquest Map See the location on a Google Map (281) 554\-9783 (760) 203\-1100 (800) 832\-3596 (281) 557\-4340 \- Fax
  • edusci_msn_com
    13 years ago

Mr. Cortina,
    I have completed my investigation as to exactly why your order for the LH38 Apogee cage was delayed 5 days. The Apogee cages were ordered the same day that our stock was depleted by multiple large orders. According to Shane of Apogee located in Dallas, TX (shipping time one day via UPS to our Houston facility) our order was delayed because the credit card on file with Apogee had expired. The Apogee cage that you ordered arrived the same day we credited your account back. Once again, we contacted you via phone and email to inform you that the LH38 cages were temporarily out of stock and gave you the option of a full return credit or to wait until the back ordered cages came in. According to my investigation, you opted to wait until the back ordered cages arrived. We would be happy to send you a free LH38 Apogee cage for your inconvenience. Cecilia will be contacting you today to apologize for any misunderstanding. Our policy is and has always been complete customer satisfaction as evidenced by our A rating with the BBB.

Janice EDUCATIONAL SCIENCE Online Life Science, Biotechnology, Nature, and Butterfly Store Customer / Technical Support Phone: 281\-554\-9783 (EAST) 760\-203\-1100 (WEST) Fax: 281\-557\-4340 Email: www.educationalscience.com URLS: www.educationalscience.com www.butterflystores.com www.milkweedplants.com www.texagenLS.com Thank you for selecting Educational Science ~~~~
Sponsored