Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to go hunting in Northern Illinois

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 0:48

In my garden, there is almost NO activity whatsoever. No eggs, and the flowers that are blooming right now aren't the kind that the butterflies seem to like. However, I'd still like to raise a few caterpillars this year. I'm about twenty minutes away from the Wisconsin border. Are there any places close by I got go to look for eggs/cats and if so what kinds should I be looking for this time of year??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to go hunting in Northern Illinois

Are there any public parks with sunny open areas? Or bike paths that go through woods or fields? Often there are wonderful spots along country roads where plants are growing in the ditches along the fields of crops, assuming they haven't been sprayed with pesticides. See if there is a gardening interest group that might have members who'd like to show you their gardens. If it were me, I'd go for a dire in the country and when I find a likely spot, knock on the door and ask if they'd mind if you wandered in their fields looking for butterflies to raise. They might even let you dig up a plant that has eggs or cats on it, or at least take a generous cutting. Sorry I'm not familiar with your specific area, but I hope I've given you some ideas.

Martha

o
RE: Where to go hunting in Northern Illinois

I go to Wildlife Management Areas and Nature Conservancy Lands. The WMAs plant crops that benefit wildlife. I don't collect anything on NC lands, as there is a rule against it. But, I've collected caterpillars at WMAs, and Monarch eggs. Our state has lots of WMA land. This week I found coneflowers in bloom all over the area where I like to visit. And there were Goatweed Leafwing caterpillars on the Wooly Croton. I found my one and only Red Spotted Purple caterpillar there several years ago. HTHs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here