Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mechelle_m

Pipevine Seeds (Aristolchia Fimbriata) for SASE

mechelle_m
10 years ago

I was out watering my pipvine today and noticed that I have several seed pods maturing. I should have fresh seeds fairly soon. If anyone would like some seeds, please contact me via email and I will send you info for sending SASE. I still have seeds from last year's harvest if anyone wants seeds sooner.

Mechelle

Comments (12)

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Mechelle, thank you for your kind offer. I have fimbriata plants from seeds, possibly from you, that are now flowering more than ever. I just love this plant, the leaves, the unique flowers, and a source of larval food for the Pipevine Swallowtails.

Sandy

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

Hi mechelle you sent me some seeds prob a month or two back and nothing ever came up. When the new seed pods are ready do you think you could send me some. Ill get another Sase out to you if so! Do they need to be cold stratified etc etc? Or will they come up this year? Pipevine and passionvines are the only two plants I have left to get growing!

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

R Lilly,

I would be happy to send you some more seeds when the new harvest is in. I have no idea if they require stratification or not...they never come up where I want them to, but they sprout wherever they end up blowing on the wind, so I know they will sprout. There were some posts about getting them to germinate, I think 2009. I remember somebody used small disposable bathroom cups filled with potting soil and placed them on top of the fridge and covered them with plastic wrap creating a mini greenhouse effect. I tried to reply to your email generated by this site and it was blocked. Send me a direct email that I can reply to and I will give you the info for the SASE.

Mechelle

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

My email is soulrebel8721@gmail.com. I thought I had saved your emails from previously but I didn't. Send me the address again and ill get it out ASAP!!

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seeds were harvested today with more to come in the next week or so. Ready to send out to whomever would like seeds until I have none left.

Mechelle

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

If you didn't have luck with germination by covering these seed, you might want to try germinating some seed by just pushing the pointy end of the seed down into the potting soil and allowing the top to stay slightly exposed. It's been a while since I germinated this seed but in observing them as they drop to the soil surface, they will germinate while being exposed on the soil surface. I have some old seed here and will experiment a bit to see what works. The one thing I would suggest is to use a loose, damp potting mix (I use Pro-Mix but it isn't available everywhere) and to maintain a light, even moisture level until the seed germinates. Check out the winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb for excellent suggestions for creating easy to use mini greenhouses with 2 liter soda bottles. Using this type of container allows the potting medium to maintain a nice moist condition throughout the germination process.

Mechelle generously shared seed with me 3 or 4 years ago (thank you so much) and now I have a nice bed of this lovely little plant. In fact, I'm currently feeding pipevine swallowtail cats on these little vines.

Mary

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Just checked my notes for this little vine and they suggest the seed requires light to germinate:

Aristolochia fimbriata - Dutchman's Pipevine

Start seeds by soaking in water for 48 hours and surface sow them. Seeds need light to germinate.

I've taken 14 seed and lightly covered seven and the other seven were pushed pointy end down into the damp potting soil, leaving the broad end exposed. I didn't soak them. Will report the results.

Mary

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

I've tried some covered, some sitting on top of the seed starting mix, I even tried throwing a bunch out in the yard. I also put some in trays in a sandwich bag on top of the fridge. I kept them moist but not soaking wet. I may have let them dry out once or twice. So now that I'm getting fresh seed. I threw out all the seed mix with the seeds in it out in the yard. Watch them all come up now!! This plant seems to be the ONLY plant I can't grow. If these seeds don't germinate I'm giving up on the dream of raising pipevine cats.

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

I also tried soaking some. lol. I'm determined to get pipevine.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

Please don't give up; keep trying. It may have been the seed you were using; perhaps they were old seed and not viable. Sooner or later, some will germinate for you. I see you are in growing zone 7 so chances are great that they will over winter in the ground for you. That will make it so much easier, once you get some plants established. I worried that mine might not return so I started extra plants to overwinter in the greenhouse, just in case I needed them the following spring, but lo and behold, those little vines popped up with the warm springtime temps and grew even stronger.

Mary

• R.Lilly
    10 years ago

So. I was emptying out the water out of the ficus trees that are in pots on the back porch where I scattered some seeds and I have two little seedlings coming up. I'm hoping these might be pipevine and not a random wind blown seed!!! I'm getting excited.

• ElizJames
    10 years ago

I live in Corpus Christi Texas, zone 9. I Would love some Pipevine seeds. Mechelle, i see you are in zone 9 also, so we must be close? I recently pulled out all my plants and just want to plant butterfly plants, so any help would be appreciated. I put in a section just for vines and would like to grow a pipevine plant. If you have any seeds available my email is elizjames@att.net

Sponsored