Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Butterfly Hunting

butterflymomok
11 years ago

I've been out and about quite a bit this spring. I make at least one trip a week to my favorite butterfly haunt. Last week, I encountered hundreds of Hairstreaks. These are not the typical Gray HSs seen daily, but a mix of Soapberry, Oak, Stripped, and Edwards. Turns out the Striped was a county record, and 4th recorded in the state. The Edwards, was number 6 and a county record for a friend.

So, it is indeed the "Year of the Butterfly" in Oklahoma. We are seeing species up to a month early, and in numbers not experienced in recent years.

Take advantage of this apparently national phenomenom and get out and enjoy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Striped Hairstreak.

Comments (2)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Sandy, is that white clover it is nectaring on?

It is a great year. Things have slowed down a bit here on the homestead. I am still seeing tons of Emperors (lots of Tawnies) and QMs. Still a number of PLs, but it appears the VFs have moved on, as well as the MCs and Clouded Sulphurs. I have a Monarch mama that keeps visiting daily.

One I haven't seen this year, that I have regularly seen every year is the Silver Spotted Skipper. Miss them!

My new Lavender Porterweed is about to bloom, as well as the Miami Sunrise Tecoma. Can't wait. If you want cuttings, I'll be happy to share, or I can start some for you. I also started seeds of white 4 o'clocks, which I planted a couple times before but they never germinated. More food for the night flying moths, and I keep trying to attract a White Lined Sphinx (it is one of their host plants).

I FINALLY got my Royal Red BB planted out in a newly dug bed, surrounded by Little Lucy Okra - should be really pretty. Next is Ellen's Blue.

I've been working especially hard on vegetables in addition to the butterfly garden, so I haven't brought any eggs or cats in to raise yet.

I have seen very, very few honeybees this year, none of the large carpenter bees either.

I have to tell you, the Purple Milkweed (A. purpurescens) is doing FANTASTIC! This is the largest size they have ever reached in the garden, so they must really like it. Considering the large population of Climbing Cutworms that have invaded the state this year, that's a miracle! I am so thrilled!

For some odd reason, I have two Partridge Pea seedlings that showed up in the garden this year. I grew it a couple of years ago, but it didn't survive. I guess the seed had a nice, long rest and decided to show its pretty little head this year instead of last year.

Oh, almost forgot - I saw almost no Tiger Swallowtails this year, so the Cherry and the Tulip Tree remain cat-less.

If you want some tomato plants, I can definitely share with you some I grew from seed, e.g., Black Cherry, Sungold, Mountain Princess, Indian Stripe, New Big Dwarf. They are very nice, healthy plants. Just don't have room for them all.

I am hoping to get Texan Crescents this year on my Flame Acanthus. They are such gorgeous plants. Foliage always, always looks beautiful. For a native plant (Texas), they are very ornamental.

Keep posting about your butterfly hunts! I find them so interesting.

Susan

• bernergrrl
    11 years ago

What a lovely photo! And how heavenly to encounter hundreds of anything, never mind hairstreaks.

Susan, You are a busy lady this year with all of that planting--I'm sure your garden will be abuzz with all of our winged friends soon!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living