Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Raising Monarchs in the city?

tiffy_z5_6_can
12 years ago

Not sure if this is a stupid question or not...

As some of you may recall, I've been raising Monarchs for the past few years on 1/2 acre in a rural seaside community in Nova Scotia, Canada. On March 31st I had to leave and temporarily - God be willing - move to the city.

In the Agreement of Sale, I was granted a day when I could return to the property to remove/divide plants. That is happening tomorrow, May 15th. The majority of plants I will be removing are Aslepias and my original plan was to bring them to my parent's 5 acre property when I take trips there this summer.

But I was just looking at my little deck (3 feet by 5 feet)and thinking that maybe I could pot some of them up and keep on my deck. If the Monarchs come, I could raise some here, and if not, I could take some cats from my parent's gardens and bring them here to raise them since I would have food for them.

Any thoughts? Any advice on potting/container growing?

The area in which I live now is residential, lots of trees and lakes. It's an upstairs flat in a private home. Not all of it is concrete, but I have no green space unless I go the container route and I need something to keep me sane. I miss my old gardens horribly.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County