Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfieldcircle

Local native butterfly host plant/vine ideas?

fairfieldcircle
11 years ago

Hi, lep lovers,

Once again I come to you all for some ideas for my butterfly garden---so thank you in advance for any tips!

I am shopping around for some aristolachia for the pipevine swallowtails and I would like to offer a couple of different kinds that our PVS like to use as hosts--can anyone advise me exactly which Aristolachias would be the best for our Southwestern Ohio garden and who the best supplier would be for a nice big vine? I have A. Serpenteria (thanks to Loess) and also I think a A. tomentosa but would like a couple more hosts.

And I just read on this forum that a Virginia gardener uses Maypops for variegated Frits...? Is this common in our area? I thought the 'Gulf' frits (which are rare in our area) used Maypops/passifloras? Can someone set me straight on whether Maypops are useful in a garden here?

Also, any suggestions for great 'woodland edge' regional BF plants? We are converting part of our lawn along the woods to 'natural' and want to be sure we have butterfly friendly plants and vines there.

Thx once again. f.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery