Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Least invasive milkweed

Posted by tamsea z-5 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 8:59

I have common milkweed on my property but want to put some milkweed in my garden areas. Anyone know which variety is the least invasive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Least invasive milkweed

I have all sorts of nectar and host plants for butterflies in my garden already.

o

Right now I'm looking at Swamp Milkweed (Red, or Cinderella)and Butterfly Weed. Any suggestions on which is least invasive?

o

I have tropical milkweed, butterfly weed, and swamp milkweed. I've not had problems with any of them being invasive.

Hope that helps
~Laura

o

Thanks, Laura. That's what I wanted to know.

o

Tropical, swamp and orange milkweeds are clumping and do not spread by runners. They might reseed a bit if you let the plants go to seed.

None are invasive so I would select your preference by color and cultural conditions. Swamp milkweed prefers a moister soil and comes in a pretty pink or white. Fast growing for a perennial milkweed. Butterfly weed (orange) likes good drainage and is very drought tolerant.

I love Asclepias curassavica and grow it like an annual here. Imo it's one of the prettiest milkweeds, plus it makes great caterpillar food.

o

in zone 5, tropical will reseed a little bit but it's not hard to weed them out in spring. Don't count on those volunteers being reliable plants because they get started way too late to sustain many monarchs.

Like Terrene, I LOVE tropical as an annual but start with plants or cuttings for best results. Good luck, Tony

PS...you can easily start with cuttings if you overwinter one or two plants indoors.

o

Tony, I have read of others who have over-wintered A. curassavica in the garage or basement. How do you overwinter yours? It is so easy to start from seed, that I hadn't thought much about doing that. I over-wintered some Salvia 'Black & Blue' this past winter in the garage and the plants did great (and are now out in the garden) so the tropical milkweed would probably do likewise.

I've got common milkweed that is already 1-2 feet high, and no Monarchs yet, so do I even need the plants earlier? Although maybe it would attract them earlier to the yard if there are more total milkweeds growing.

o

Thanks everyone. I'm placing it in a moist area so I am going to try the Swamp milkweed, IF I can find it. It's sold out everywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here