Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erictammy

Least invasive milkweed

erictammy
11 years ago

I have common milkweed on my property but want to put some milkweed in my garden areas. Anyone know which variety is the least invasive?

Comments (8)

• erictammy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have all sorts of nectar and host plants for butterflies in my garden already.

• erictammy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right now I'm looking at Swamp Milkweed (Red, or Cinderella)and Butterfly Weed. Any suggestions on which is least invasive?

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

I have tropical milkweed, butterfly weed, and swamp milkweed. I've not had problems with any of them being invasive.

Hope that helps
    ~Laura

• erictammy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Laura. That's what I wanted to know.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Tropical, swamp and orange milkweeds are clumping and do not spread by runners. They might reseed a bit if you let the plants go to seed.

None are invasive so I would select your preference by color and cultural conditions. Swamp milkweed prefers a moister soil and comes in a pretty pink or white. Fast growing for a perennial milkweed. Butterfly weed (orange) likes good drainage and is very drought tolerant.

I love Asclepias curassavica and grow it like an annual here. Imo it's one of the prettiest milkweeds, plus it makes great caterpillar food.

• Tony G
    11 years ago

in zone 5, tropical will reseed a little bit but it's not hard to weed them out in spring. Don't count on those volunteers being reliable plants because they get started way too late to sustain many monarchs.

Like Terrene, I LOVE tropical as an annual but start with plants or cuttings for best results. Good luck, Tony

PS...you can easily start with cuttings if you overwinter one or two plants indoors.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Tony, I have read of others who have over-wintered A. curassavica in the garage or basement. How do you overwinter yours? It is so easy to start from seed, that I hadn't thought much about doing that. I over-wintered some Salvia 'Black & Blue' this past winter in the garage and the plants did great (and are now out in the garden) so the tropical milkweed would probably do likewise.

I've got common milkweed that is already 1-2 feet high, and no Monarchs yet, so do I even need the plants earlier? Although maybe it would attract them earlier to the yard if there are more total milkweeds growing.

• erictammy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm placing it in a moist area so I am going to try the Swamp milkweed, IF I can find it. It's sold out everywhere.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21