Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

Milkweird

Leafhead
9 years ago

Has anyone else in the Northern/Midwestern regions (Z 4&5) noticed anything strange with their milkweed plants? Mine came up about three inches and are already starting to show buds!!
My Milkweeds have barely moved in days, despite warmer temps and ample rain and watering. I'm a little worried that they are stunted and won't sustain hungry cats very well. Even the ones in stores and garden centers are showing signs of stunt.
Anyone else having this problem?

John

Comments (13)

• runmede
    9 years ago

Here in Northern VA, the common milkweeds are 2 ft. high and budding to bloom. They usually grow 5-6 feet before they flower. I suspect the cold weather has delayed their growth. We had a very cold wet spring.

• roper2008
    9 years ago

This year mine are averaging 4-4.5 feet tall. The flowers
    are forming, but haven't opened yet. They should soon.

• Tom
    9 years ago

Not a problem here, John. I hope yours start growing soon.

Tom

Central Florida

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine is starting to pop now at a good clip. The seedlings are actually faring better than established plants. My Swamp Milkweed is now starting to send up more normal looking canes.
    I found three more eggs today in an open field during a dog walk. This brings my total up to 3 cats and 6 eggs :)

John

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Yeahp weird year.

With the crazy weather I had absolutely terrible germination on my winter sown seeds, less than 1%. I had one small kids pool and 3 halts of 45 gal barrels in milkweed and out of those got 12 plants. All other species germination was good. Next year I am not going to put all my eggs in one basket :(

Then something, I am guessing deer, decided to yank half the seedlings I planted out of the ground. I think I will be forced to buy a plant this year..

On the bright side we finally have some sunny weather and I am seeing more and more butterflies....Yay!!

SCG

• runmede
    9 years ago

Seeds in your over wintering flats can still come up now and next year. I was surprised to see new seedlings in my pots from last year.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have volunteers all over the yard...plus the 18 BR seedlings I got from Martha (AKA DocMom). I am pleased to say that all are doing well and growing normally. I'm almost ready to grow them out into 4" pots :)

John

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

John,
    I'm so glad to hear your milkweed seedlings survived their transit and are growing for you.

SCG,
    I still have tons of Swamp Milkweed, Common Milkweed and Whorled Milkweed seedlings that I haven't planted out yet. I don't know whether it is possible to ship across the border, but I sure would love to share with you. We should definitely plan to share seeds, if that is legal. Check back here if I can help.

Martha

• runmede
    9 years ago

Usually people have to have a nursery license to ship plants across state lines. I myself worry about plant pests being shipped from one state to another.

I think sending seeds across state lines is permissible.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Runnymede,
    I agree with you about the concerns re shipping, and I rarely do it. I did ship bare root seedlings of native milkweeds and button bushes recently, but I would only ship plants that are known to be native in the recipient location.

Martha

• runmede
    9 years ago

Anything that has foliage can contain plant pests. Please be careful. Shipping seeds is a lot safer.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

docmom,

Thanks for the offer. It is possible to ship them but the effort required to get all the permitting (and cost) isn't worth it.

If I got more seeds is it too late to sow because of stratification?

As well I can buy plants locally and the bonus will be blooms this year, and seeds!!

The other bright side is it looks like I managed to save a few seedlings so it is not a total loss this year!!

Poor butterflies also lost the buddleia bushes to old man winter. Good thing I started a bunch!

On an unscheduled day off wish me luck on butterfly pics. With not much for flowers I am going to make a damp spot in the garden to try and attract them........here we go..

Thanks again all

SCG

• runmede
    9 years ago

Try planting some tropical milkweed until you can get the natives established. Tropicals grow pretty fast.