Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

too late to start Liatris ligulistylis from seed?

Ruth_MI
9 years ago

I've never grown this, but based on what I read here, really wanted to have it this year. A local nursery that carries a lot of butterfly plants usually carries it. But this year they don't have it! (They had staff and seed issues.) Same story at a second nursery. Darn!! :-)

Is it too late to start it from seed this year?

Comments (7)

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

As long as it is properly stratified before you get it, it shouldn't be too late, especially with the cool Spring we've had. You may not get blooming plants this year, but they will overwinter if they're old enough when Winter comes.

John

• Liz
    9 years ago

I'm not sure where you could get stratified seed. It takes 60 days of moist cold to germinate, so if you try to do it yourself in the refrigerator you would be setting out the plants very late in the season. I would go for the plants, if I were you. Prairie Nursery is selling them, and they ship beautiful stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Nursery

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the info. Yes, I'd prefer plants since the seed needs 60 days of cold strat. There's a vendor I want to check with at our farmer's market on Thursday, but if she doesn't have it I'll likely go the Prairie Nursery route. Appreciate the recommendation!

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Ruth,
    I have about a thousand new seedlings in my garden, and a milk jug of wintersown seedlings I'd be thrilled to send to you. I started my plants from seed two years ago. They bloomed last summer ( year two) and I collected a ton of seed. Apparently, enough seed was left to self seed my bed very generously. We've had a very moist spring, so every seed that fell has sprouted. I wintersowed one milk jug just to guarantee I would have plants, but I have more than I need already in the garden. Email me your address and I'll find a way to send you some seedlings.

Martha

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Martha,

That is so generous! I'll email you. Thanks!!

• Tony G
    9 years ago

as many seeds as liatris ligulistylis puts out it's amazing how few actually germinate.

Dr. Liz, I got some plants from Prairie nursery a few years back and it was NOT the right liatris...happened to someone else I know too.

The liatris bloomed a month too early and it was 2-3 feet shorter than our "real" liatris ligulistylis.

When I contacted them about it, they insisted it was the right liatris. The next year it bloomed early and was too short again....definitely not the right plant.

I got real liatris from prairie MOON nursery about 5 years ago and those plants have been excellent.

I am sure prairie nursery has some good plants, but I would not advise buying liatris from them.

• Liz
    9 years ago

Interesting about Prairie Nursery's liatris. Could it possibly be a different clone? Sometimes species will vary a good deal across their range. Of course, it could simply be mislabeled, as you say.
    Liz

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer