Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minrose_gw

Here I go again!

minrose
11 years ago

Last year I raised and released 938 Monarchs and I promised my DH I would not do as many this year as it was very time consuming, averaging 4 hours a day working with them, cleaning jars and giving them fresh milk weed!

Well, I did an approximate count of my catepillars, I have about 235 cats, 16 chrysalises and maybe 10 eggs and it is not even the end of May yet!

Luckily I am finding plenty of milkweed to feed my hungry catepillars. My first Monarch to eclose could be this Thursday or Friday.

Been checking for Black Swallowtail cats too but so far none, I don't think they come till late June or early July here.

Have a nice weekend everyone, looks like it is going to be cloudy and rainy mostly here in Minnesota, will have time to work with my catepillars, at least!

Comments (7)

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Minrose! That's still a TREMENDOUS number of caterpillars to raise! I've never raised more than about 25 monarchs at the time, and that was a job! I'm amazed at your stamina, but the monarchs thank you!

Sherry

• butterflymomok
    11 years ago

Minrose, you must be on the Monarch flight path! I'm raising my third generation of 22 caterpillars. I will have raised about 100 with this last group. Thankfully, not all at once. You are down-right amazing! The Monarchs and I thank you.

Sandy

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I feel guilty. I've decided to leave the Monarchs to fend for themselves this year while I study for a certification exam in October. I have milkweed in the garden and lots of nectar plants available. I just can't devote the time to cleaning, feeding, and watching for release. It's really difficult to resist hunting for eggs and cats, especially since it sounds like this may be a banner year for butterflies in general.

Martha

• caterwallin
    11 years ago

That's great that you have the time and energy to raise that many Monarchs, Minrose! :) I raised so many one year like that and decided never again and I kept to that promise that I made to myself. My sanity is worth more than that! lol I just have too much garden out for so many different species of butterflies that I spend a lot of time weeding and don't have time to raise a lot of cats these days. I purposely didn't put any milkweed out until about 2 weeks ago because I really didn't want Monarchs here this early because of having to get all the gardens "up and running". Even when the Monarchs get here, I don't think I'll bring many in. I had been revamping my butterfly cage but haven't figured out how to keep the velcro on the wood, so that project is at a standstill. Without a butterfly cage, there's no way that I'd raise a whole lot. With that I can just stick in big pots of milkweed and let them have at it. I used to go the jar route and also plastic storage containers, but that's too time-consuming and then some. I guess I'm slowing down in my middle age. Ha. Keep up the good work! Just don't work yourself to the point of exhaustion!
    Cathy

• Tony G
    11 years ago

Cathy, I know how you feel! I have so many other things I want to do in the garden (and outside it)that I'm trying to keep the monarch raising to a minimum. Like Minrose, I got sucked in when the monarchs got here so early. I am wrapping up my first batch of about 25. Every year I am streamlining the process to make things easier but it still take too much time. I can't believe how many eggs/cats are in our yard. I'm getting used to saying no and that's a good thing...otherwise I'd drive myself crazy with the numbers we're getting this season!

I am going to keep it to a minimum for most of the summer and then I'll probably raise a larger LAST batch.

Minrose, the BST's are already here. I got eggs a couple weeks ago but I resisted the temptation to bring those in...I overwintered BST's and it was such a treat to see them hatch in April and early May. I think BST's will only be a winter activity from now on.

Our pearly everlasting's are crawling with american lady cats but I've left those outside too. It's funny how they protect themselves by "silking shut" all the leaves...I'd imagine the RA's look similar?

I hope to finally get out in the garden to finish planting.....we've gotten so much rain lately it's unbelievable!!!

Tony

• caterwallin
    11 years ago

Tony, I don't whether I should say congrats for all of the Monarchs you have in your yard or give you my sympathies. ;-) I know it's hard to ignore them, but it sounds like you've worked that out too. A person almost has to if he/she wants to get anything else done. Sure, it upsets me knowing that most of the ones that I let outside probably won't make it, but it upsets me even more if my gardens and other things are being neglected because of not having enough time to do it all. Maybe I shouldn't say it, but it gets to the point where I resent raising them, and then I know it's time to back off.

I also have American Lady cats outside on the pussytoes and Pearly Everlastings. When they come through, they really lay a bunch of eggs. I raised them other years, but I'm like you and leaving them outside this year. I just want to concentrate on these RA cats for now since it's the first time for them.

It's been raining pretty often here too and it's hard to get out to do things in the garden like I really want to do. My hubby got out to till today but it's really not dry enough. Our tomatoes and peppers are in but the red beets still need to be planted. That saying really is true that if you want to live off of a garden, you practically have to live in it! We don't really live off of ours but between the butterfly gardens and the veggie garden, it takes up a lot of time. I'm sure you know what I mean! I guess it keeps us out of trouble. :)
    Cathy

• Tony G
    11 years ago

Cathy, I think after today it's official: Minneapolis's wettest May of ALL TIME. It's mostly been a good thing thing because we were in a drought through April...not anymore!!!!

I think the most we've lost from the rains is a few seedlings, but I was able to replace them with larger plants.

I checked the rue and fennel today and found black swallowtail caterpillars on both.

Some of my first batch monarchs completely finished off my HUGE overwintered tropical milkweed today so I cut the stems down and replanted it outside. They have almost all pupated so I'm going to take a break from raising to finish planting, mulching, and a couple other garden projects.

The sky is PITCH BLACK right now...looks like a stormy night ahead. Happy memorial day everyone and I hope you're all enjoying this incredible butterfly season! Tony

Sponsored