Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiroan

Black Swallowtail Chrysalides

spiroan
9 years ago

Hi all,

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have two black swallowtail chrysalides in a cage inside my house. This is my first time raising them. It hasn't quite been three weeks, yet. I'm trying to be patient, but of course, I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong. So, do you guys mind entertaining my "worry" questions?

1. Since they are inside the house, should I be misting them regularly? I am not.
2. They are beside a living room window, which essentially gets morning sun. Is this enough, or do I need to move them somewhere else?
3. Is there anything else I need to be doing to help them stay alive while they are in their chrysalides?
4. Both of them pupated in a place in the cage behind wooden supports where direct sun really cannot get to them. Is this a problem?
5. We painted the inside of the cage. Despite me putting regular sticks in there, they chose to make a chrysalis on the painted wood rather than the natural branches. Is it an issue that they would've likely ingested some of this painted wood in the construction of their chrysalis?

Thanks for your help. I've got quite a few caterpillars coming, so I want to make sure I've got the process down before I try to do the next batch.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath