Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Invasives

butterflymomok
11 years ago

I spent Saturday at a Nature Conservancy area in south-central Oklahoma. The wind was really gusting down the plains that day so the BFs were hanging on for dear life. Many were down in the growth, so we didn't get to see much. But, I really got a lesson on invasives. Jona, who manages the land there was walking with us and pulling up plants. These plants were non-natives that had blown in or come in on the shoes of hikers. Even mowing equipment can transfer seeds.

One of the big offenders was Queen Ann's Lace or QAL. The town nearby had planted QAL along the roadways. I once considered planting some, and now I am so glad I didn't. This made me realize just how important it is to consider what we put in our gardens. Birds, wind, and our own clothing can carry foreign seeds and spread them. Pretty darn scary!

I will definitely be more conscious of what I plant, and deadheading in the future. Sadly, Japanese Honeysuckle is rampant in nature parks around here. Another invasive is Privet. We've read it, discussed it, and now I've had a real-life lesson.

Sandy

Comments (3)