Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How early to see Black Swallowtails, NJ?

Posted by woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:02

I have a few nice big clumps of Parsley that overwintered, as well as younger plants I am setting out. How early can I expect to see Black Swallowtails and find eggs and caterpillars. Generally find them later in June/July but there should be an earlier group here, yes? I am in NJ.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How early to see Black Swallowtails, NJ?

I've seen them as early as April here in Madison, WI. As soon as you can get Fennel, Dill and/or Parsley really going in your area, you should start seeing your first ELF (Egg Laying Female).
The second brood is in July-August for us, maybe earlier in NJ.
If you're blessed c a third brood, you'll see cats as late as Oct.

o

I have not seen any flying around here in Mass yet, but I just released the first BST yesterday, which was a small male, out of a group of 6 chrysalises that over wintered outside in a mesh sleeve. The sleeve is hanging on the northeast corner of the house so the chrysalises are taking their cues from nature as to when to emerge.

The Mass. Audubon buttefly atlas says their usual flight period in this state starts in mid-May, so May 1st seems somewhat early. We've had a stretch of pretty warm and dry weather, maybe that's why a butterfly emerged so early. Hope he can find a female to mate with!

o

I just released my first 2 days ago. But, our weather has been a major factor in delaying the season. Last night it was 36 here. Yesterday's high was about 43. We've been getting these cold fronts once a week for the last month which is very unusual for us. I can't even get my tomato plants in the ground yet. Last year I planted them in March.

Susan

o

I seen one swallowtail either back or eastern tiger a few weeks ago but that it it except for a ton of cabbage whites.

o

I saw either a Swallowtail or a Mourning Cloak on Sunday. It was flying at quite a clip and I only saw it for a second or two.

o

I finally did see a female on Sunday. Weather in NJ has been "beautiful" but really too cool and much too dry for the season. In any case, I did not yet get a chance to check for eggs but there may indeed be some.

o

The Eastern Tigers have appeared here just this week. Mom and I just built a new flower bed and there on the most topsoil, she saw three of them puddling! I was away at the time, but she took pictures on her movie camera and showed me.

I have Fennel that germinated for me after WS'ing it and I don't know where to put it since it doesn't like to be near other plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Put it in full sun and give it lots of room.

o

I live in central PA and saw one flying around the rue two days ago, so that would be May 4.

o

Brad, it does fine in my garden in very close proximity to other plants such as Hibiscus continues, False Nettle, Black-eyed Susan, Monarda, mums, wildflowers, etc. I had always heard the opposite,that many other plants don't grow well if near Fennel, that it has allelopathic qualities.

Susan

o

I have mine growing c Hollyhocks, Daisies and Hostas s ill effects to either plants. It does like a lot of room, good soil and lots of sun in order to grow well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here