Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

'on site' seed planting

Mary Leek
13 years ago

An observation and suggestion for anyone planting directly in the outside garden bed.

When I transplant my wintersown plants into their permanent growing spot, I like to place a collar around them to help protect them from crawley things that tend to eat young plant growth. Using a cheap pair of scissors from the dollar store, I cut out a ring/collar from a 2 liter soda bottle and place it around the young plants. The scissors cut through the plastic extremely easily. By pushing this ring slightly into the soil, it stays in place and being clear, it isn't noticeable in the garden, where it extends up about 1.5 to 2 inches in height. After two or three weeks, I remove it when the plants have hardened up a bit. It also helps to hold the water around the roots of new transplants when watering. This same type of open collar might work to keep fall sown seeds in place so they don't wash away plus I doubt birds would get into such a small enclosed area to dig for the seed. Might be a good experiment to try if you're planning on some fall 'on site' planting.

Mary

Comments (2)