Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiger Swallowtail Pupation Question

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 11:49

My Tiger is huge now, and should be pupating any time. He is on the Wild Cherry that I have in a pot on my porch. Do they typically make their chrysalis on the plant, or wander off to do so. I can put him in a container to pupate if that is the case, but I probably should do it soon, like today!

Thanks everybody!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiger Swallowtail Pupation Question

Oooh, tigers are big wanderers! Not that some won't stay on the tree. Last year we had a huge batch on the tulip tree in the arboretum's butterfly exhibit. Next thing we knew they were wandering everywhere! And fast! We had to keep telling people "freeze" and scoop them up before they got squished. Just when we thought there couldn't be anymore, another would show up. They typically turn a neat shade of brown too.
-Elisabeth

o

Figured I'd piggyback on this thread.

My son was outside yesterday picking up tree limbs that were brought down by a storm last week. He got very excited when he picked up one big 'ole dead ash tree limb because it had a butterfly chrysalis on it. I believe it is a tiger swallowtail. The hoop in the middle was no longer attached to the limb. I pulled the chrysalis off at the bottom and got some silk. Is it OK to hang a tiger chrysalis upside down? I've had BST and ZST chrysalises eclose just laying on tissue paper but since I've got some silk to work with, I'd rather hang this tiger unless swallowtails really object to being upside down.

KC

o

KC, I wouldn't hang it upside down...I'd attach the silk & make a sling with tape or a twisty. I don't think it will eclose properly unless it is in the right position. I've lost every PVST that didn't attach well unless I helped.
Good LUCK!

o

Thanks for the reply.

I have it hanging upside down next to my monarchs. Bugs me every time I look at it. I will make up something to get it in the right position.

o

The tiger eclosed today. Came out fine. My son was very excited.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here