Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

Can't Grow False Nettles?

molanic
9 years ago

Butterfly people are probably the only ones intentionally growing this plant, so I am posting here again about it. I think this will be the second year that my false nettles (Boehmeria cylindrica) have failed to overwinter. I see no signs of growth at all.

Supposedly this is one of those weedy aggressive plants that will take over everything! Maps show it is native throughout Illinois and all the way up into Canada, so I don't think cold is the issue. I am planting it in the ideal location based on what I have read. I'm putting it in the sunny rain garden where the sump pump and birdbath overflow to low areas. It is in with cardinal flower, buttonbush, blue flag iris, and white turtlehead that all require the same conditions. They are all thriving.

The soil stays moist to wet year round, but doesn't have standing water unless there is severe flooding. I have wintersown the seed with good germination. Last year I tried letting them get larger in the container before planting out in the early fall instead of in spring. Both years they were about two feet tall, bright green and healthy looking going into the winter. I also posted pictures on here to make sure they were the right plant.

This is the perfect host plant for multiple species since I don't have room for their host plant trees. New false nettle seedlings started in the spring don't grow fast enough to serve as host plants the same year. Why can't I grow this weed? Anyone else have issues?

Comments (7)

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Beautiful Red Admiral, Sherry. I think I saw one fly rapidly thru yesterday :)

I could never get FN seed to germinate before June/July, well beyond the first Red Admiral flight. Plus the bunnies get them before they seed. I have better luck with Wood Nettle because it comes up a lot earlier and is more critter resistant. My WNs are about six inches high, and RAs usually start laying sometime in mid to late May when the WNs are over two feet tall.
    Mine are a little behind this year. They grow both in my rain garden and in a shady low lying area in my side garden. I think after all this rain and a few warm sunny days, they're going to really put on some growth.

John

• molanic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had read that they can handle shade or sun, but will need pretty wet soil in full sun. So it sounds like maybe I should try a less wet and shadier location too based on your experience Sherry. If I recall the leaves on mine did seem kind of tough, but they looked healthy. I started more seed this year, but don't think there is any germination yet.

I may have to try that wood nettle as a back up plan for next year too. It looks like a good alternative since it hosts the red admiral, comma, and question mark just like the false nettles. I hope it isn't too stinging. In our small suburban yard there aren't really any wild areas or out of the way places where no one could rub up against it.

Thanks for the info.

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

Don't like reading that Sherry is still low on RAs. My son has seen one and I've read that they have been seen as far north as Toledo but my nettles have zero folded leaves for the 2nd year in a row. I really expected a rebound this year. Hopefully, it still happens.

"Be Nice to Nettles" week is May 14th to 25th.

KC

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I saw a Red Admiral in Grand Rapids, Michigan two days ago. I haven't seen any more, and I've been outside quite a bit. Has there been a particular shortage of RAs, more so than butterflies in general? I got seed for Wood Nettles from John and they germinated very well. I haven't decided where to plant them, since I should keep them away from people. But, I want to have them where I can see them frequently.

Happy butterflying!

Martha

• Leafhead
    9 years ago

Hi Martha,
    It's nice to hear your Nettle seeds have germinated :)
    I saw a Red Admiral (I think it was) flying rapidly through my garden on Sunday. My Wood Nettles are 8" high now and growing fast now that they are past the bunny prone stage. I hope yours thrives and attracts lots of RAs and Commas.

Happy Butterflying

John

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

Martha,
    All the migrating butterflies I expect to see were in short supply last year. I raised infinitely more monarchs than red admirals/question marks (2 versus 0). Buckeyes, painted ladies, and cloudless sulphurs were absent too.

KC

Sponsored