Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mechelle_m

Pipevine Seeds (Aristolochia Fimbriata)

mechelle_m
12 years ago

A couple of years ago, I was able to offer seeds to anyone who sent an SASE. Last year, my plants did not produce a single seed pod. This year, my plants are loaded with seed pods. They are still very green, so it may be a while before the seeds are mature enough to harvest. If you would like some seeds, let me know. All I ask for is an SASE (reply to this post and I will email you back with the info) and that if your seeds sprout and make plants that have seed pods in the future, share them with other butterfly gardeners.

Mechelle

Comments (24)

• mschaetz
    12 years ago

I would love to try some seeds! Thanks! :D

• Mary Leek
    12 years ago

Hi Mechelle,

Two years ago you kindly shared seed with me. Because of your generosity, I now have plants going into their second year. I'd just like to tell you how much I've enjoyed growing these lovely little plants. Thank you so much.

Mary

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mary,

I am so glad to hear that the seedlings are still going strong. The only luck I have had with these seeds growing for me is when the wind takes them and lands them in a suitable growing area. I still haven't had any pipevine swallowtails lay any eggs on the fimbriata, but I have had gold rim swallowtails.

This year is a weird one for the butterflies...Early in the season, I had an invasion of the monarchs, but since then, nothing from them. I haven't seen nearly as many butterflies of any species this year. We have had some cool spells this spring, highly unusual from years past, maybe that has something to do with the fewer numbers of butterflies.

Mechelle

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Hi Mechelle, I would love to join your list and get some seeds. They look like a lot of fun to grow. Thanks!

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Mechelle,

You have shared seeds with me in the past. And they grew well. However, this winter was terrible. We had a blizzard which destroyed the portable greenhouse, and exposed hundred of plants to -22 degree temperatures(record breaking cold). I lost everything that I was overwintering.

I would love some seeds to start over. Thank you for making this offer again! Send me your address, and I'll mail an envelope and postage.

Sandy - sandysgarden at olp dot net

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are so welcome, Sandy. Every year I am lucky enough to have seed pods generate, I will happily share the seeds with the wonderful people on this forum. An email will be coming to you shortly.

Mechelle

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Mechelle,

I would love to try my hand at growing this pipevine from seed. My husband fell in love with the Pipevine Swallowtail and I want to do everything possible to lure them to our property, and keep them there.

Thanks so much for this offer. I will email you.

Betty

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have now harvested several seed pods and have seeds ready to sendm for your SASE. Email me for more information.

Mechelle

• mschaetz
    12 years ago

many seed have just sprouted! I hope I can keep them alive now! Thanks again so much for your seeds. I planted all of mine and will be sharing the seedlings now with some friends.

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome! Hope they perform well for you and attract lots of pipevine swallowtails, the polydamas (goldrim swallowtail) also uses the fimbriata as a host.

Mechelle

• mschaetz
    12 years ago

ok, stupid question here but I have never grown these. I am wanting to make hanging baskets. About how many seedlings per basket would you suggest?

• nel.nucifera
    12 years ago

I know this thread is 4 months old and I don't know if the offer is still open. But I thought I'd take a chance... would you take a look at my trade list? I want to add perennial butterfly host plants to my yard in the hopes of attracting bunches of 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I still have some fimbriata seeds. I looked at the list of seeds you are wanting and I think I also have fennel and dill seeds. I will have to look to see if I do still have those, but I am sure I have the fimbriata seeds available. Send me an email and I will send you contact info.

Mechelle

• carol_jeff
    11 years ago

It is a year+ later and I was wondering if you had a good seed crop and had any seeds to share.

• beckyme
    10 years ago

I am just starting a butterfly garden and am particularly interested in host plants. I have been reading about the pipe vine, and I would love to try some of the seeds you offer if you still have some. Thanks so much.

• beckyme
    10 years ago

I am just starting a butterfly garden and am particularly interested in host plants. I have been reading about the pipe vine, and I would love to try some of the seeds you offer if you still have some. Thanks so much.

• mechelle_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Send me an email and I will send you the info to send me an SASE for the seeds. I actually harvested a couple of seed pods yesterday.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

I would like to add a bit of information for those who will be recipients of Mechelle's largess. I experimented with various ages of Aristolochia Fimbriata seeds this summer. Old seed fared the worst regarding germination with only two seeds germinating from old seed.

For my experiment with fresh seed (seed gathered this summer), I had one seed germinate fairly quickly and no more for weeks. All of a sudden, this morning (Aug 16), I noticed four new seedlings pushing up. This seed was started July 6th, making 5 weeks before decent germination has begun.

So please just keep your germination medium damp and wait. Don't give up on them. These seed apparently take several weeks to begin germinating.

I know fallen seed in my patch germinate throughout the summer but I've never tried to time them from the time they fall onto the pine bark mulch until I see tiny plants emerging. The poor little vines have been steadily eaten until only parts of the bare vines are left. Finally, with no PV cats left on them, the vines began putting on new leaves and along comes mama pipevine butterfly and now, the vines are bare again. This last batch of cats also ate the newly germinated seedlings. It will be interesting to see if the vines bounce back next spring.

Mary

• StrawberryPaint
    9 years ago

Hi! I'd love to start my own butterfly garden with some pipeline seeds, if you're still giving them away! Please let me know if you still have some left. :)

Thank you for your great generosity,

KP

• wayne6
    9 years ago

I am looking for seeds or young plants of Aristolochia fimbriata. Also will these root easily from clippings?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

• Mary Leek
    9 years ago

Wayne,

Mechelle may know more about clippings but I tried it once, just for my own knowledge and I didn't have any luck with starting new plants by rooting a clipping. Seeds are how I've started new plants. I don't have any fresh seed this year as I was away from home all summer and my little vines suffered from no one here to tend to them. I am hoping they will rebound next spring. I hope someone with fresh seed will be able to help you.

Mary

• wayne6
    9 years ago

Thank you Mary for that information.

• imabirdnut
    9 years ago

Aristolochia fimbriata has a carrot type root that has to be dug up to move them...I do have seeds that are a year or so old that I would be happy to share. My experience with the seeds is that they are very slow to germinate so don't give up on them. This pipevine is perennial here & dies back during the winter but returns from the root in the spring. You also need a lot of plants because Pipevine swallowtail cats are big eaters!!!
    Message me if you are interested!

• angelimperfect36
    9 years ago

do you still have them? I have been looking for pipevine plants that will attract the beautiful blue pipevine butterflies! I have the dutchman pipevine plants (three of them) and they are growing like crazy over my wood fence which is perfect and I have so many polydamas swallowtail caterpillars all over it. They are happy and I never see my plants get down to nothing yet. The plants just kept getting thicker and thicker. I do want the pipevine plant that will attract the pipevine swallowtails. Please message me if you have any left! Thanks in advance.

Christina

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner