Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipevine Seeds (Aristolochia Fimbriata)

Posted by mechelle_m z9 TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 12:30

A couple of years ago, I was able to offer seeds to anyone who sent an SASE. Last year, my plants did not produce a single seed pod. This year, my plants are loaded with seed pods. They are still very green, so it may be a while before the seeds are mature enough to harvest. If you would like some seeds, let me know. All I ask for is an SASE (reply to this post and I will email you back with the info) and that if your seeds sprout and make plants that have seed pods in the future, share them with other butterfly gardeners.

Mechelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipevine Seeds (Aristolochia Fimbriata)

I would love to try some seeds! Thanks! :D

o

Hi Mechelle,

Two years ago you kindly shared seed with me. Because of your generosity, I now have plants going into their second year. I'd just like to tell you how much I've enjoyed growing these lovely little plants. Thank you so much.

Mary

o

Hi Mary,

I am so glad to hear that the seedlings are still going strong. The only luck I have had with these seeds growing for me is when the wind takes them and lands them in a suitable growing area. I still haven't had any pipevine swallowtails lay any eggs on the fimbriata, but I have had gold rim swallowtails.

This year is a weird one for the butterflies...Early in the season, I had an invasion of the monarchs, but since then, nothing from them. I haven't seen nearly as many butterflies of any species this year. We have had some cool spells this spring, highly unusual from years past, maybe that has something to do with the fewer numbers of butterflies.

Mechelle

o

Hi Mechelle, I would love to join your list and get some seeds. They look like a lot of fun to grow. Thanks!

o

Mechelle,

You have shared seeds with me in the past. And they grew well. However, this winter was terrible. We had a blizzard which destroyed the portable greenhouse, and exposed hundred of plants to -22 degree temperatures(record breaking cold). I lost everything that I was overwintering.

I would love some seeds to start over. Thank you for making this offer again! Send me your address, and I'll mail an envelope and postage.

Sandy - sandysgarden at olp dot net

o

You are so welcome, Sandy. Every year I am lucky enough to have seed pods generate, I will happily share the seeds with the wonderful people on this forum. An email will be coming to you shortly.

Mechelle

o

Mechelle,

I would love to try my hand at growing this pipevine from seed. My husband fell in love with the Pipevine Swallowtail and I want to do everything possible to lure them to our property, and keep them there.

Thanks so much for this offer. I will email you.

Betty

o

I have now harvested several seed pods and have seeds ready to sendm for your SASE. Email me for more information.

Mechelle

o

many seed have just sprouted! I hope I can keep them alive now! Thanks again so much for your seeds. I planted all of mine and will be sharing the seedlings now with some friends.

o

Awesome! Hope they perform well for you and attract lots of pipevine swallowtails, the polydamas (goldrim swallowtail) also uses the fimbriata as a host.

Mechelle

o

ok, stupid question here but I have never grown these. I am wanting to make hanging baskets. About how many seedlings per basket would you suggest?

o

I know this thread is 4 months old and I don't know if the offer is still open. But I thought I'd take a chance... would you take a look at my trade list? I want to add perennial butterfly host plants to my yard in the hopes of attracting bunches of 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: my page

o

Yes, I still have some fimbriata seeds. I looked at the list of seeds you are wanting and I think I also have fennel and dill seeds. I will have to look to see if I do still have those, but I am sure I have the fimbriata seeds available. Send me an email and I will send you contact info.

Mechelle

o

It is a year+ later and I was wondering if you had a good seed crop and had any seeds to share.

o

I am just starting a butterfly garden and am particularly interested in host plants. I have been reading about the pipe vine, and I would love to try some of the seeds you offer if you still have some. Thanks so much.

o

I am just starting a butterfly garden and am particularly interested in host plants. I have been reading about the pipe vine, and I would love to try some of the seeds you offer if you still have some. Thanks so much.

o

Send me an email and I will send you the info to send me an SASE for the seeds. I actually harvested a couple of seed pods yesterday.

o

I would like to add a bit of information for those who will be recipients of Mechelle's largess. I experimented with various ages of Aristolochia Fimbriata seeds this summer. Old seed fared the worst regarding germination with only two seeds germinating from old seed.

For my experiment with fresh seed (seed gathered this summer), I had one seed germinate fairly quickly and no more for weeks. All of a sudden, this morning (Aug 16), I noticed four new seedlings pushing up. This seed was started July 6th, making 5 weeks before decent germination has begun.

So please just keep your germination medium damp and wait. Don't give up on them. These seed apparently take several weeks to begin germinating.

I know fallen seed in my patch germinate throughout the summer but I've never tried to time them from the time they fall onto the pine bark mulch until I see tiny plants emerging. The poor little vines have been steadily eaten until only parts of the bare vines are left. Finally, with no PV cats left on them, the vines began putting on new leaves and along comes mama pipevine butterfly and now, the vines are bare again. This last batch of cats also ate the newly germinated seedlings. It will be interesting to see if the vines bounce back next spring.

Mary

o

Hi! I'd love to start my own butterfly garden with some pipeline seeds, if you're still giving them away! Please let me know if you still have some left. :)

Thank you for your great generosity,

KP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here