Asclepias tuberosa
Monarda fistulosa
Monarda punctata
Liatris spicata Kobold
Liatris ligulistylis
Zinnia
Tithonia
Yvonne's Salvia

I also threw in some switchgrass (which does not seem to be doing very well.) My plan to use prairie dropseed didn't work out,since I got almost no germination. I may try again. Not great for the butterflies, but so pretty!

What do you al think? I tried to stick to deer-resistant plants, so I may not have as much variety as others manage. Elsewhere in the yard, I have a number of host trees, like tulip tree and hackberry, and some shrubs, like bottlebrush buckeye ( very tiny!) and spicebush (very tiny!) Also rue, parsley, and fennel. Oh, and I forgot, one sterile buddleia, a rudbeckia, echinachea, and helenium.The mountain mint I started won't be big enough to plant for a long time--they're miniscule!

Wish me luck for my first real year gardening for the butterflies. Thanks to all here for the support, and especially to Martha (docmom) for the seeds!
Liz

Comments (11)

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful Liz, I envy you on the host trees! If I had know ten years ago what I know now, I would of planted butterfly friendly trees. But at the time I just wanted fast shade.
    There are soooo many choices as you know, it is hard to decide if you have limited space like I did. I regret I don't have any Rue, and I did have fennel last year, it was a horrible plant I bought at the end of season sale. Now I cannot find any locally.
    I would love to plant a raised contained bed just for all of the mint.. Let me know how your Mountain mint does, we can swap tips even though we are at extremes as far as climate goes.
    Good luck, Debra

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

'Sounds great, Liz!

If you could find a place for some asters, you'd have nectar plants in the fall, and you might get those cute little pearl crescent caterpillars.

And, if you have the room, a wild black cherry would play host to tiger swallowtails and red-spotted purples, plus numerous moths, including those gorgeous cecropia moths.

And, if you have a wet corner, some type of Salix/willow would give you a host for viceroys and numerous moths.

Here's hoping everything thrives!

Sherry

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you are having success with your plants. I always collect far more seed than I could ever hope to use, just so I can donate it to others like you. Every little bit we each do to increase native plants and chemical-free gardening gets us closer to a balance between us and nature.

Debra, I have more fennel seeds than 20 people could ever use. I'd be glad to send you some. I also have a number of Rue seedlings. I don't know whether they would ship well or not. I'll check back here to see if you are interested. My email is so full I'll never read them all.

Martha

• Liz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love to have some asters, but the deer love them too. And I really don't want to have to get out there every week and spray deer spray. I'm worried that deer fencing might snare the butterflies, too, so I'm not sure that's a good answer. We have lots of pearl crescents at my local park where there are many New England asters growing, and I saw one in my yard last year, so I could probably have them if I could figure out a solution to the deer problem. Fencing the whole yard is not really feasible, either. It's difficult. They just ate my new viburnum, too, and my fothergilla.

I have plenty of cherries, mostly European and choke. No black cherry, though. Also oak, beech, birch and a bunch of other trees.
    Liz

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

'Sounds like you've got it covered!

Sherry

• Slatewiper
    9 years ago

Be prepared to be disappointed with the liatris kobold. It is a cultivar and I have never had any luck getting butterflies to use it.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I have an image in my head of a small garden bed planted beneath an arch or peak of open fencing or cattle panels. If it were small enough and/or tall enough that the deer couldn't jump in or reach their heads in, then you could have a small area just for the precious-but-deer-prone plants. I've been considering building something to plant my new hord of native seedlings inside while they get enough size to tolerate some munching. Cattle panels are probably the most durable, but a bit of an investment, depending how large an area you're interested in.

Martha

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

@docmom, I have a semi local plant sale this weekend, if I can't find what I need I will get with you on the fennel seed. I hope to find a lot of native milkweed, and other plants that are native for my area. I am very excited as the nursery that is very butterfly friendly, but 60 miles away will be there selling. Thank you so much for the support.... Debra

• Liz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a shame about the Liatris Kobold. It is pretty. If it doesn't attract butterflies, I will probably just replace it. I also have some Liatris ligulistylis, as I mentioned. I thought it was not coming up, but just lately seedlings have been starting to pop, so I guess it was just pokey.

Martha, I can't visualize what you're talking about. However, they do say that two separated four foot fences will deter deer about as well as a six-foot fence, so maybe I can rig something up after all.
    Liz

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I just took a tour of my butterfly garden and it appears the deer have no fear of the road. They munched on some coral bells, garden phlox, and asters. I guess I need to move those closer to the house or protect them some how. I hate trying to keep up with spraying repellents, too.

I saw my first butterfly! It was a Red Admiral that fluttered by a window and landed very briefly on the sunny brick window ledge. Whatever they like must be in my woods, because they are easily my most common butterfly.

My Spicebush survived its first winter and is putting out new leaves. I also got new blueberry bushes and raspberry plants in the ground Sunday. I'm expecting delivery of more raspberry and strawberry plants any day, too. I don't know if deer will eat strawberry plants, but I'd better plan to protect them somehow.

The liatris ligualistylis is peaking out, and there are some volunteer seedlings, too. It looks like it might be a wonderful summer,

Martha

• Liz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It always interests me how different the common butterflies are for different forum members. I don't think I have ever even seen a red admiral yet around here. Our most common are the tiger swallowtails, because of the abundance of tulip trees, and the silver spotted skippers because of the locusts. Oh, and of course, cabbage Whites. We also have a lot of black swallowtails.

I was surprised not to see any painted ladies in my local park last summer. There are so many thistles. Go figure.
    Liz